Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Install liner add water later?

1. Back To Top    #1

Install liner add water later?

Is this possible? I had my crew lined up to help install the liner Friday morning. I just found out that I have to go out of town Sun and come back Tuesday early. Since I wouldnt be able to monitor the chemicals during that time, I was wondering if I could install the liner, just clip it in place but add no water.

Seems like it would work and would help let it settle into place?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Install liner add water later?

Are you filling from the tap? You might be able to fill Friday evening through Saturday. Get your pH correct. Make sure you have 30-40ppm CYA, bring the chlorine to shock levels and then cover the pool while you are gone. That might be enough to make it to Tuesday.

I'm in a similar situation. Liner goes in tomorrow, fill the pool Friday then I have to go out of town Saturday.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

3. Back To Top    #3

I am filling from tap, but id be hesitant to dump chemicals in and run. I would prefer to be on site to monitor/test.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Your liner will dry out and shrink if it is not filled with water. Also if there is heavy rain while the liner is empty ground water could collect underneath and displace the liner. If rescheduling the install is not an option, fill the pool with water, adjust pH if needed, add the CYA and raise the pool to shock level. If your pump is not yet connected when the liner is installed use liquid CYA and liquid chlorine and brush the pool well to circulate. That should keep things clear until you get back.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't think of it as "dump and run". You will be putting in carefully calculated amounts of CYA and chlorine by using the pool calculator. Raising the FC to shock level poses no risk to your liner/pool. FC will decrease while you are gone, you can slow that by covering the pool and preventing the sunlight from breaking down chlorine. If all goes well you'll still have some chlorine in the pool when you get back and then you can fine tune the rest of the chemistry.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread