Chlorine powder black stains

Jun 26, 2013
Jakarta
My pool cleaner inadvertently left the discharge valve open causing a 30% loss of water before being noticed.The pool was filled from our well supply and the once sparkling blue water in the pool was now a very light teal colour.I shocked the pool with powdered chlorine and the undissolved powder has badly stained the ceramic tiles on the base of the pool.No amount of scrubbing with the pool brush will remove the black stains.What are my options?I really don't want to drain a 60,000 litre pool.

THX Steve

Do you know what type of powdered chlorine product you used? Without know a lot more details this is a bit of a wild guess, but the spots you have may be metal stains, try rubbing a common vitamin C tablet available at most health stores on one of the tiles and see if it lifts the stains.

Ike

It's most likely copper stains. This is usually happens when the pH and TA are too low. Try some baking soda on the stain. Add some sequestrant when you get a chance.

What were all of your readings at the time you added the shock?

I'm not sure if low ph and ta are related to the cases that I know of or if it's just coincidental. Also the cases that I know of have all involved cal hypo contacting the surface.

Thanks guys for your prompt replies.Ike I haven't been able to get in touch with the chemical supplier but will tomorrow and let you know.James my pH was 6.8 and TA 50 before shocking.24hrs after shocking pH was >than8.2 and TA 100.The present update to this is I added HCL to lower the pH and knowing that acid is heavier than water,I poured it into the pool directly above one of the larger stains.As if by magic the stain disappeared.I use two stabilized chlorine tablets in this pool and they keep the chlorine level stable at3.0.I noticed that if I slide one of these over the stain,they also remove the stain but not as rapid.So its good news as I won't have to drain the pool,just devise a means of wiping the stains with the acid under water.This has removed a huge weight of my shoulders as a clean and bright pool equates to a happy household.

regards Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.