Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: fill water orange with iron

1. Back To Top    #1

fill water orange with iron

I just filled the pool, I think my test kit will be in the mail today or tomorrow. And we live on a farm so I use raw water from the well to fill the pool. It's quite orange and I'm just filtering it now to remove the iron (doubt it's really doing anything). But I was reading in pool school about removing the metals and it mentioned sequestrants. How do I use that? Is that the same as adding a chelating agent?
    Any recommendations for orange irony water?
    16' x 48" intex ultra frame above ground pool 5000g
    one speed Filter Pump with 1,500 gallon (5,678 L) per hour flow rate
    340g FreeFlow Solstice Spa, 1.5 hp two speed pump, 50 sq ft. filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: fill water orange with iron

When you have metals in the water, you will need to use regular doses of a sequestrant to prevent the metals from forming stains. Sequestrants bind to the metals and prevent them from depositing as stains - they do not remove metals from the water. Dose according to the directions on the product label. Sequestrants slowly break down in the pool, so you need to add more regularly to maintain the correct level.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which may be less expensive.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a better source for fillup? If you do, I would really suggest doing that. I know, easier said than done and I see you are out in the country so it may be impossible. If you can see that much Iron, it is a bunch, and may stain badly.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

The only way to get different water would be to bring in a water truck from the city but . . .$$$

Have you ever heard of a product by bioguard called Pool Magnet? I've heard somepeople have success with it, but I'm SO DONE with pool stores right now!
    16' x 48" intex ultra frame above ground pool 5000g
    one speed Filter Pump with 1,500 gallon (5,678 L) per hour flow rate
    340g FreeFlow Solstice Spa, 1.5 hp two speed pump, 50 sq ft. filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Try the search function for rust or iron.

Some people have had good luck putting layers of paper towels in the skimmer basket to trap the rust particles. Someone else recently made some sort of prefilter using pillow batting in a bucket. The more you can remove physically as rust particles, the less you'll have to deal with chemically. Also, we're waiting to see the final results in this thread:
    ferri-tabs-slime-bag-experiment-review-t62508.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!