Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking and then a storm came

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking and then a storm came

So here we go.

Briefly, I was in the tail end of my shocking process and a massive storm rolled thru and literally dumped 3+ inches of water into the pool. Terrible part is, i was in the middle of performing the OCLT.

In a prior post you all got me switched over on BBB and on the right track with everything. And then as the post went on we debated on if I NEEDED to shock. I had perfectly crystal clear water, the CC was <.5, but would drop a little more then 1ppm of FC overnight . So you all recommend i just go for it and get the shocking process underway. So i did. Started off a little rocky (prob bad calculations on my part) but i was aiming for a 28-30FC shocking level (CYA of 70ish+) and ended up with a 37.5FC so i just let her slowly drop back down to 28-30FC and held it there all day with the exception of one small period where it did drop a little below shocking level. However when i brough it back up i must have overdid it again cause i ended up with a 38FC. either way this was at 9pm or so at night and i decided this is what i should base my OCLT on. so i did. THEN the storm came, dumped 3 inches of water and when tested this morning i had a 32.5FC reading.

My question is this: Because it rained and i could not accurately tell if the drop was less then 1ppm overnight. (which i would bet it would have been) should i just drain back down to my normal water level and get it to shock value again and then keep it there for another day or however it takes again until i can accurately perform the OCLT.

Reading last night at 10:15PM FC 38 CC .5
    Reading this morn at 7:15AM FC 32.5 CC<.5

Thanks all

p.s. BBB method is going great so far (get many people asking about my sparkly water) and the TF-100 kit has me addicted to testing. (which is good thing)
    23k Gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward Perflex 65A DE Filter, Heat Pump, In-Line Chlorinator, Pool Installed 2010 (however i just bought the house with this pool 1 month ago)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking and then a storm came

BTW if you need my prior to shocking results they are as follows:

PH 7.5
    FC 7
    CC .5
    TC 8
    TA 60
    CH 100
    CYA 70ish

I didnt bother running a full battery of testing this morn because i was in the middle of shocking. only did the FC and CC as stated above
    23k Gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward Perflex 65A DE Filter, Heat Pump, In-Line Chlorinator, Pool Installed 2010 (however i just bought the house with this pool 1 month ago)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

The answer is yes.

Your overnight loss of 5.5 ppm FC indicates you are still killing organics in your pool. Continue the shock process until you get that loss down to 1 ppm or less.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Kinda figured that is what the answer was, just wanted to check and be sure. I am in middle of draining down the almost overflowing pool as we speak. once i get the water level correct i am going to retest the FC and then get it going in the right direction again. Will keep ya posted. Thanks