Newbie here with a question on using bleach for a 12’X30” Intex pool. Pool was set up and filled last weekend – used the pool calculator to identify quantity of bleach that I needed to add –My first mistake was not paying attention to the differences in my Kit and the calculator. My kit gives me a CL/BR reading and the calculator uses a FC reading (still researching what the difference is).
My initial CL was .5. Pool is about 2000 gallons (its not filled all the way to the top) and I added 1 and 1/3 cup of 8% bleach using the FC calculation from the pool Calculator.
Using my test kit – my CL level is now 5 and my PH is 8.2. I guess my question is based around me thinking that the amount of bleach that I added really didn’t seem like it would have that effect on 2000 gallons of water. Is this a normal water reaction to what I think is a small quantity of bleach? I remember growing up as a kid and being able to smell the chemicals in the pool – I’m at a high CL level and can’t smell/detect anything in the water (which im ok with – but just wanted to be sure I didn’t do anything wrong)
The pool sits under a small tree and is pretty much out of direct sunlight just based on me living in the city and this really being the only place for me to install the pool. Will it not being in the sunlight have any adverse effect on maintaining the water? I actually think it’s better as this pool is for my 2.5 year old daughter and my preference is to have her shaded when in it.
Also – my PH level seems high based off what I have read from Pool School – I have also read that 8.2 isn’t really that high and that a high PH isn’t the end of the world. Im still going to pick up some acid tomorrow to try and bring it down – more of a learning experience for me than anything.
Hope I didn’t screw up anything based on my rushing into this and not realizing the difference between CL and FC – but please guide me/teach me…. Also - if bleach is not the way to go for this pool - please let me know. I just figured it was small and bleach would be the easiest to use based on the assumption that tablets may over-do it for such a small pool.
Thank you in advance for your time/help - lots to learn but I think i found the best possible place!