Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbers Grease for Lubricating Gaskets

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbers Grease for Lubricating Gaskets

Will be assembling my new Intex Sand & Salt water combo filter tomorrow. I learned not to use petroleum jelly on these types of systems. Went to HD and they were out of Super Lube - a synthetic lubricant - in their tools section. They were out of most of their lubricants. Went to plumbing aisle hoping to find some options but there was only a small tube of plumbers grease. Do folks recommend lubricating gaskets on Intex SWG filters or since you might not want any grease leaching into the pool water, just replacing gaskets after every season (or just when necessary)?
    14'x42'' Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 4000 gal, 1600 Intex Sand Filter & Saltwater System; Rookie year in 2012 with 12' x 36" Easy Set placed on grass without leveling - learned my lesson!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbers Grease for Lubricating Gaskets

I use marine grease at HD or Autozone - thoughts anyone?
    13200 gal, IG, plaster, built 1985, replastered 2012, Mytilus MA-90C cartridge filter, 2716 Blue Line In-ground Pump and Motor (1 HP), (manual clean/brush/test with Taylor K-2006, TFP since 2012) in Northwest Houston TX

3. Back To Top    #3

I looked it up - plumber's grease is silicon, so it should be fine.

Marine grease - I'm assuming the waterproof turquise stuff for boat trailer bearings - is still petroleum based and can soften and swell O-rings. You haven't lived until you've taken something apart and had a triple-sized O-ring jump out at you...and then you get that sinking feeling when you realize you will never be able to put it back together tonight.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you can read the label on the plumber's grease, if it is silicon based, that is essentially the same as "pool lube".

Not a good idea on the marine grease. Meant for bearings etc and has compounds in it for that purpose. can damage o-rings as they generally are not the same synthetic rubber as automotive/marine seals.

Edit: Hey Richard, can I get a word in edgewise here?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    You had a day head start if you wanted to beat me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    You had a day head start if you wanted to beat me.
    True enough. Was busy this morning cleaning the dog out of my pool. Chocolate labs that love the pool and I can't keep them out of it. Daily vacuuming, twice a week changing filters.....If you have pool loving dogs, you know the drill.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your comments on plumbers grease and maring grease too!

This is the first time I'm using an Intex Sand Filter - an SWG for that matter too. Am I overdoing it by greasing all the rings (anything else?) or is it definitly advoised to grease them? I'm assuming that conservative application is best since you don't want excess leaching into the pool.
    14'x42'' Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 4000 gal, 1600 Intex Sand Filter & Saltwater System; Rookie year in 2012 with 12' x 36" Easy Set placed on grass without leveling - learned my lesson!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Luddite
    Thanks for your comments on plumbers grease and maring grease too!

This is the first time I'm using an Intex Sand Filter - an SWG for that matter too. Am I overdoing it by greasing all the rings (anything else?) or is it definitly advoised to grease them? I'm assuming that conservative application is best since you don't want excess leaching into the pool.
    It's been my experience on everything that O-rings must be lubricated.

9. Back To Top    #9

dont use vasoline , now you tell me

10. Back To Top    #10

On page 9 of the Intex Sand Filter & Saltwater System manual it states in item 4. "Before assembly, lubricate the threads with a petroleum jelly." I remembered an experienced mechanic telling me that petroleum jelly wasn't good to use for this application. Thanks to TFP Members for warning not to use it!!! Plumbers grease worked just fine for me since I couldn't find teflon lubricant at HD. The manual error doesn't surprise me. The salt water and CYA tables have about 25 pools listed, but not the amounts for my 14 x 42 - frustrating...

11. Back To Top    #11

That is what the Pool Calculator is good for.

12. Back To Top    #12

That is what the Pool Calculator is good for.
    I used the pool calculator but there was a slight issue.
    Using PC (14' x 42" [3.5'] = 4000 gallons. But since the pool level will be a few inches less than the height of 42", I first thought I might use 36" = 3500 gallons for all pool chemical calulations.

Using Intex Chart (didn't have the 14 x 42 option) I can choose a 15x42 Easy Set (3264 gallons)and a 15x42 (3861 gal) circular metal pool. The Intex formula adds a 90% factor for water capacity which addresses the question I had over how much are these pools filled on average. An inwall skimmer could increase that amount based on how high the skimmer is mounted.

Using PC again with the 90% factor would be 14 feet x 3.78 feet = 4400 gallons. But the closest pool on the Intex chart for a circular metal pool shows a 15 x 48" (4 feet) = 4440 gallons. But that pool is obviously larger than my 14 X 42. CONFUSED....

13. Back To Top    #13

In that case, go with the 3861, as it will give you a little buffer for chemical/salt additions. You already know that you can always add more of anything, but some things are difficult to get out if you overdo them.