Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How big is too big? for round agp

1. Back To Top    #1

How big is too big? for round agp

We love our 18' pool, but we're hoping to upgrade when our current pool finally lets go. I've been kicking the idea around in my mind for a couple of weeks, and a 54 inch 36 footer sure sounds awesome. We have the space and are budgeting for it, but I'm wondering what some of the unintended consequences could be.
    Any thoughts?
    6.7K Pro Series 18x48, VL40T32 pump/filter, Hayward skimmer, TF100, and BBB!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How big is too big? for round agp

Twice the water cost and twice the amount of chemicals you usually use to maintain the one you have. Twice any decking or landscaping. Twice the vacuuming time. Twice as much fun!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's actually 4.55 times the water! Fortunately, we are on a well with plentiful and beautiful water. I think the chemical cost is my biggest hangup, but with the BBB method I think it's doable. 10% Bleach is around five bucks for two and half gallons locally. The deck would have to be done in stages. A pool cleaner is in the budget for the new pool. I'm thinking more than 4.55 times the fun!

4. Back To Top    #4

We just have an Intex 16'. This is our second summer with it and we love it. We have seriously considered an inground pool now. The money is crazy, but they're sure nice! So our question is, do we fork out 50-60K for for an inground pool with beautiful concrete decking or do we move up to a near new 30ft boat???

Bigger boat or inground pool?
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex

5. Back To Top    #5

What a great "dilemma" to have. For me, I would take the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

We have a 33' and love it! I say go for it!
    -Julie
    25,600gal/33' x 52" Sharkline Heritage, Pentair Clean & Clear 150sq ft filter, 1.5hp dual speed Optiflo pump, TF-100 test kit, BBB method, Pool Rover S2-40

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a 30 ft. round and glad we didn't go smaller.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

8. Back To Top    #8

If I had the space, I would have went bigger. I have no more wiggle room to work with.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

That's a monster of a pool...go for it!
    A deep end would be great, maybe a bottom main drain too.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    A deep end would be great, maybe a bottom main drain too.
    I would go for a 30-33' w/ a deep end, adding a drain wouldn't cost much extra. Good idea.

What about a 20x40 agp buried 2' then you could have a deck that makes it appear as being inground
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]