Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about when to shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about when to shock

2nd year using TFP, and due to TFP and my Taylor test kit, my pool has never had better water quality or required less chemicals.
    I don't use the frog, threw away old pool perfect, ultra bright, some other stuff from Leslies.
    I do use some pucks and old powder until the CYA gets over 35, then go to 100% chlorox - 1 jug every 2 or 3 days.
    baking soda to raise TA if it drops below 70, CH is 220, ph is 7.6

my question is about shocking and backwashing periodically.
    do you ever need to shock if the FC is kept between 2 and 6 and CC is always 0, CYA is 30/35 and everything else is in balance?

also should you backwash every 3 or 4 weeks even if pump pressure has not risen more than 7/8 lbs?

24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 19 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 2 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, Brand new Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2

Hartland, MI

Re: Question about when to shock

From what I've read a shock is never necessary if your cc level stays below 0.5 and the water is clear and a backwash is only necessary when the pressure rises.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    150lb Hayward sand filter
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Shocking is only needed when something goes wrong.

Backwash when the pressure increases 25% over your starting pressure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Many of us have gone years without the shock process. My pool is never closed - it just gets too cold to swim in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!