TheNthTraveler

Jun 23, 2013
Greetings all from central Oklahoma!

Just thought I would introduce myself. I've been a pool owner for over 5 years, and was about to be the owner of a bigger back yard (yep; I was ready to fill that puppy in!).

When we bought this house, our family thought "Great! Our own pool!"

But over the past years:
* Being told by a pool store to keep putting shock (I know, shock is a process, but that's what the pool stores called it) in the pool because we supposedly had mustard algae, and the water got browner and browner (Pool store: You need more shock and some algaecide!) until we go to another pool store, and they say: "Are you on well water? With lots of iron? Try this chelating agent." After the chelating agent: the water is clear as a bell two days later! :shock:
* Let's try not to cover the pool for the winter one year (bad idea!). Result: An unbelievably difficult pool to clean!
* Having a clear pool until one day, all of the sudden, the pool looks like the aquarium I had as a 9 year old (it wasn't a pretty aquarium). Thanks chlorine pucks!
* Being told by another pool store that your pool's phosphates level is too high, and sold a $60 bottle of stuff, only to find out (from this website) that sufficient levels of sanitizer will keep phosphates from turning into algae (I could have bought a nice test kit... :cry: )
* I could go on, but I know everybody has a life...

Then one day I was poking around on the web, and discovered this web site. Great web site! I lurked around reading the forums, and discovered the BBB method. Freedom!!! (from over-priced pool chemicals 20 miles from home). Knowledge!!! (not using chlorine tablets, finally understanding Cl/CYA relationships, etc.)

Based on my past experiences, if I bought a new house today, it probably would not have a pool. But I have one now, and my kids love it. Hopefully with this web site and its members help I can at least not go broke financing a pool store owner's vacation in the Bahamas single-handedly while having a great looking pool.

And who knows, maybe I'll finally warm up to it...

Anyway, I am looking forward to participating in your forums, hopefully learning a lot and even maybe helping out those less knowledgeable than me (that may take a while though :-D )

The Nth Traveler

Richard320 said:
Welcome! :wave:

So...did you buy a test kit yet? :mrgreen:

Not yet... I have a BioGuard kit that can do Free and Total Chlorine as well as pH and Total Alkalinity. Going to try to use it up before I get the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006.

As long as I have my kids or wife to help read the colors, I'm okay. Looking forward to using titration over the color matching. I also plan to get the magnetic stirrer.

I also had a WalMart HTC with the CYA test. It was showing about 30. I been going through about 1 96oz jug of 6.0% bleach a day. Is that normal?

Oh, and by the way.

Since I found this web site, I've been using the BBB method exclusively a short time after the opening of the pool (I wish I hadn't bought the Trichlor tabs at first).

Fortunately, I went to this fantastic pool school here :) and saw the dangers of CYA buildup due to Trichlor before I had used too many of the tabs.

Headed off to Wally-world, and started buying Clorox 121oz at 8.25% @ $3.49. Later I discovered Aldi's has their generic 6% bleach for $1.29/96oz, which I believe is a much better deal.

Result: A great looking pool except for a small amount of leaves in the deep end.

Thanks again for all the great information!