Chlorinator and sand filter drain plug spraying water

Jun 25, 2013
Hi all,

I'm no pool genius and am hoping to get a little advice on a problem that's cropped up with my filtration system.

I have a Hayward sand filter that has recently developed a leak in the drain cap area. The water is shooting out a foot or so whenever the pump is on so there's some pressure in there for sure!

Also, the chlorinator is spraying water from the top, near the threads I believe. Also, water under pressure that sprays a few inches rather than drips. There are a few partially dissolved chlorine tables in the chlorinator and upon starting the pump after sitting for a bit, the chlorine gas smell in the vicinity is very strong.

I've tried backwashing with no change in these symptoms. The pump itself seems to work fine as far as I can tell. Things had been running fine for a month or so and I've not noticed any other issues.

Anyone have some tips as to how I might troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!

The chlorinator cap is as tight as I can turn it...could be a bad gasket there I suppose. Would that explain the leaky drain cap on the sand filter? I tried loosening / tightening the drain cap with no noticable change in the spray. These two symptoms cropped up at the same time, leading me to believe that they're related.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.