Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator and sand filter drain plug spraying water

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinator and sand filter drain plug spraying water

Hi all,

I'm no pool genius and am hoping to get a little advice on a problem that's cropped up with my filtration system.

I have a Hayward sand filter that has recently developed a leak in the drain cap area. The water is shooting out a foot or so whenever the pump is on so there's some pressure in there for sure!

Also, the chlorinator is spraying water from the top, near the threads I believe. Also, water under pressure that sprays a few inches rather than drips. There are a few partially dissolved chlorine tables in the chlorinator and upon starting the pump after sitting for a bit, the chlorine gas smell in the vicinity is very strong.

I've tried backwashing with no change in these symptoms. The pump itself seems to work fine as far as I can tell. Things had been running fine for a month or so and I've not noticed any other issues.

Anyone have some tips as to how I might troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Chlorinator and sand filter drain plug spraying water

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have some seals that are faulty or perhaps the caps have come unscrewed partially. Is everything fairly tight?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The chlorinator cap is as tight as I can turn it...could be a bad gasket there I suppose. Would that explain the leaky drain cap on the sand filter? I tried loosening / tightening the drain cap with no noticable change in the spray. These two symptoms cropped up at the same time, leading me to believe that they're related.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I can think of no possible relationship between your chlorinator and the drain plug on your filter. Fix them one at a time. Turn the pump off and inspect that chlorinator gasket.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School