Adding Chemicals before a storm?

Also to not add another thread what do you recommend for a partially color blind person trying to read test results? The ph I don't have a problem with but the ta and fc ones are really hard for me to judge. I can see cheap test kit chlorine levels because they have a color comparison, but I'm afraid it's not that accurate. With the Taylor kit I have its hard to tell the change from pink to clear and basically any other color change test.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Storm coming or not, Your FC is already too low. The single biggest issue people have with their pools is not maintaining adequate chlorine. If you tell us your CYA level, we can tell you where your FC should be.....but it's gonna' be higher than 1 ppm.

I have no advice for not being able to see a color change. Can someone help you?

I will test my cya tomorrow because it will be a week since adding my first cya to my new pool. I've been trying to keep around 5 with a projected cya of 30-40. I've been fighting a high ta level, but I'm afraid to add too much ma at once and not sure when it's safe to swim afterwards. I really appreciate all the quick responses I get. I recommend this site to everyone I know with a pool or planing on getting a pool.

The best suggestion I have is the TF-100, the only color matching test in it that you need to use is the pH test, all the others are drop counting and looking for a color change (clear / red or red/blue) (this excludes the color matching OTO chlorine test as you can use the FAS-DPD drop counting test in its place, it just takes a little longer to run, and reagent cost a little more)

You only need to let the water circulate about half an hour after adding chemicals before adding the other. No need to run the pump overnight unless that's when you usually run it or you're in the middle of the shock process. And actually, if you add stuff in front of the return it disperses pretty fast and you swimming in it will actually aid in getting things mixed well. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in minutes after adding bleach or acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I usually keep my fc at a better level but I had softball tonight so I neglected it a little longer than usual. Plus I'm not sure my cya level yet because it hasn't been a week and I've had to back flush my filter a couple times due to the iron in my pool. I will test my cya tomorrow and adjust accordingly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.