Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Chemicals before a storm?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Chemicals before a storm?

My fc is at 1 and my ph is at 7.8. I was gonna turn my filter on and add some bleach, but I didn't know if it was a good idea to do this before a storm.

24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    150lb Hayward sand filter
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Chemicals before a storm?

Yes, you don't want your FC getting low in a storm particularly if there is a chance debris will get into the pool
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

So, it won't hurt to run the filter overnight during a storm?

24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

4. Back To Top    #4

Also to not add another thread what do you recommend for a partially color blind person trying to read test results? The ph I don't have a problem with but the ta and fc ones are really hard for me to judge. I can see cheap test kit chlorine levels because they have a color comparison, but I'm afraid it's not that accurate. With the Taylor kit I have its hard to tell the change from pink to clear and basically any other color change test.

24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Storm coming or not, Your FC is already too low. The single biggest issue people have with their pools is not maintaining adequate chlorine. If you tell us your CYA level, we can tell you where your FC should be.....but it's gonna' be higher than 1 ppm.

I have no advice for not being able to see a color change. Can someone help you?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I will test my cya tomorrow because it will be a week since adding my first cya to my new pool. I've been trying to keep around 5 with a projected cya of 30-40. I've been fighting a high ta level, but I'm afraid to add too much ma at once and not sure when it's safe to swim afterwards. I really appreciate all the quick responses I get. I recommend this site to everyone I know with a pool or planing on getting a pool.

24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

7. Back To Top    #7

The best suggestion I have is the TF-100, the only color matching test in it that you need to use is the pH test, all the others are drop counting and looking for a color change (clear / red or red/blue) (this excludes the color matching OTO chlorine test as you can use the FAS-DPD drop counting test in its place, it just takes a little longer to run, and reagent cost a little more)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

You only need to let the water circulate about half an hour after adding chemicals before adding the other. No need to run the pump overnight unless that's when you usually run it or you're in the middle of the shock process. And actually, if you add stuff in front of the return it disperses pretty fast and you swimming in it will actually aid in getting things mixed well. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in minutes after adding bleach or acid.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Don't worry about the TA until you better control your FC.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, thanks for the quick responses. I usually run the pump overnight and test after work then add chemicals accordingly.

24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

11. Back To Top    #11

I usually keep my fc at a better level but I had softball tonight so I neglected it a little longer than usual. Plus I'm not sure my cya level yet because it hasn't been a week and I've had to back flush my filter a couple times due to the iron in my pool. I will test my cya tomorrow and adjust accordingly.

24'x54'' AG
    Appox. 13800 gallons
    1.5hp pump
    Well water

12. Back To Top    #12

I usually turn my pump off during any windy weather because my skimmer basket will fill up with leaves from nearby trees and, has in the past caused my pump to lose its prime.
    20,000 gal. 27' AGP
    Hayward 18" sand filter with 1 hp Hayward Matrix pump
    A convinced BBB user and TFP fan