Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I cap the air blower pipe?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I cap the air blower pipe?

Hello,
    I have a 13,000 gallon pool/spa spillover combo. For the longest time I've been scratching my head wondering why there was so much air coming through the spa jets. Sometimes it would go away to just come back a couple weeks later. Well, today I figured it out. I took the air blower off the pipe and put my can hear air being sucked into the pipe. I put my hand over the pipe opening and the air bubbles in the spa jets stopped. Is there a way that I can fix the air blower to stop leaking air into those jets?? Or can I safely cap that pvc pipe with a slip cap and put the blower on it when I want to use it?
    Thank you,
    Melissa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I cap the air blower pipe?

I have a Hartford Loop that sucks air into the spa returns. I capped it with an old spray-paint can lid. Suction holds it on. It reduces aeration and pH climb. Cost me nothing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you figured it out. Just cover the pipe and take the cap off when you want bubbles ... or use the blower if you want a LOT of bubbles.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thought that was the whole point of adding a blower to a spa system.... More pressure and more air bubbles. Besides a little more aeration, what is your major concern?
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the quick replies. The ph climb was getting annoying. I'm pretty sure I have a butter tub or something to put over it. Problem solved
    -Melissa