Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining (+filter pics)

1. Back To Top    #1

No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining (+filter pics)

I am attempting to clean a Jandy DEL 48 for the first time. No idea how many times the previous owners cleaned it out in the 7 years prior.

Since it's an indoor pool, flooding is a concern, so when I follow the instructions, and open the drain cover, water gushes out. It slows down some, but keeps on coming. I also hear bubbling in the pipes around the filter pump.

Note, I have not found an isolation valve, and the equipment is located above the water line of the pool.

Help please...!

Here are some pics:

POOL SPECS: INDOOR, 22.5k Gal, Vinyl Liner, L-Shape, In-Ground, Main Drain (2), Skimmer (2), Water Slide, No Spa/Water Features (Dimensions, Pool Pic, Panoramic Pool Pic)
    HARDWARE: Jandy DEV60 Filter / JEP1.5 VS ePump / AquaLink RS Controller, Sta-Rite SR400NA 400k BTU Heater,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining

I think that's the filter draining. Try opening the air bleed on top with the pump off until it stops glugging. But watch for any DE heading out the skimmers, and stop it if you see that happening.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I think that's the filter draining. Try opening the air bleed on top with the pump off until it stops glugging. But watch for any DE heading out the skimmers, and stop it if you see that happening.
    The air bleed was open and air had stopped coming out. Does it matter what the multiport valve is set to? How long should it typically take? I waited a couple minutes and it didn't slow down anymore.

Would it be bad to remove the top of the filter before it's finished draining? Maybe then I could see what's going on inside.

As I said, this is indoor equipment, so I would rather not have too much water draining down right outside the basement.
    POOL SPECS: INDOOR, 22.5k Gal, Vinyl Liner, L-Shape, In-Ground, Main Drain (2), Skimmer (2), Water Slide, No Spa/Water Features (Dimensions, Pool Pic, Panoramic Pool Pic)
    HARDWARE: Jandy DEV60 Filter / JEP1.5 VS ePump / AquaLink RS Controller, Sta-Rite SR400NA 400k BTU Heater,

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine takes a good ten minutes to stop gurgling. Remember, water's going through the filter by gravity feed, not under 15 or 20 psi.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

What should the mpv be set to? Does it matter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy
    What should the mpv be set to? Does it matter?
    I don't know. Mine has only filter and backwash.

7. Back To Top    #7

Funny, my valve has everything else crossed out by hand. Only filter and backwash.

P.s. how do you rinse after back washing?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy
    Funny, my valve has everything else crossed out by hand. Only filter and backwash.

P.s. how do you rinse after back washing?
    I don't.

use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine takes a good ten minutes to stop gurgling. Remember, water's going through the filter by gravity feed, not under 15 or 20 psi.
    Thanks, you were right! Took another 2 minutes or so and it's about done.

In case it ever does matter, I left the valve set to backwash.

10. Back To Top    #10

Here are some of the "before" pictures. On a scale of 1-10 (10 is dirtiest) how bad is this?

Clean pictures to follow...

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: No Isolation Valve? Water won't stop draining (+filter p

I've been wondering what a DE filter looks like on the inside. I've no idea weather that is bad or not, but it is interesting to see how it works with such fine media.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Maybe a 6. Here's what a 10 looks like:

extremely-dirty-d-e-filter-help-t60455.html

Be sure to clean all the debris around the giant O-ring, and clean and lubricate it.

13. Back To Top    #13

WOW!!

New problem...are these holes? I think there are one or two on every grid...I presume grids need to be replaced in this condition.

14. Back To Top    #14

I went ahead and ordered a complete set of new grids, some o-rings, lube, and a missing spacer from the manifold. Hope to have this all back up and running soon. Then I can finally add the CYA I have been waiting on and take a swim!

15. Back To Top    #15

Maybe a 6. Here's what a 10 looks like:

Ya know...I don't know much about pool stuff in general, let alone the specifics about a DE filter...but I DO know a brick factory when I see one.

Richard320 - you owe me a new laptop. This one has diet cola and snot all over the keyboard.
    15,000 gal, IG, Vinyl
    Cartridge Filter: Hayward C12002, 120 GPM
    Pump: 1.5 hp, Flotec AT251501-01
    TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

That's nasty.
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install