HELP!!! Green hair!

Jun 21, 2013
First time pool owner (18"x4' intex with SWG). I have researched enough to know that green hair is caused by copper. My copper test strips and the sample I took to a local pool shop all show the copper levels are fine. However, since my daughter and I have a lovely green tint to our hair every time we swim, I'm assuming those tests are not accurate. The book that came with my SWG says if copper level is high (which I assume it is) to drain 20% of the pool and refill. I did that but we are still getting green in our hair. The book also says that you can add aluminum sulfate to take care of the problem. I bought some but can't really find anything about this online so I'm afraid to add it to my pool. Does anyone know anything about adding aluminum sulfate? Will it really reduce the copper?

Reactions: Marcm4591
Yes! In my research today I discovered that you can do that. As soon as my hubby can help me figure out how to do that, I'm definitely going to. I still need to get rid of the existing copper though. Thanks for your reply!

Welcome to tfp, bella44 :wave:

Getting rid of copper once it is in a pool is difficult...obviously better not to have it there in the first place. The best way to lower it is to do a drain/refill.

For the swg (I assume you have the intex with the copper bars?), all you need to do is disconnect the copper bars by unscrewing the nut and pulling off the connector. It can be left hanging.

bella44 said:
Thanks for te replies! So, can I try the aluminum sulfate? Will it hurt anything?
We do not recommend using aluminum sulfate, though I have not read on here that it will hurt anything, but I have also not read anything on here that suggests it will help your copper issue either.

Aluminum sulfate is a floc but not a very good one for what you need done. You're best bet is to unhook the copper bars and drain about half of the pool and refill with a known metals free water source.

Quite often the metals tests are not accurate and metals will be a lot higher than they indicate. Also, some hair is more sensitive to copper than most and it shows up readily. If you have a problem with getting your hair "ungreen" you can use Nexxus Aloe Rid treatment and Aloe Rid Shampoo. There's a thread here that goes into it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.