Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP!!! Green hair!

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP!!! Green hair!

First time pool owner (18"x4' intex with SWG). I have researched enough to know that green hair is caused by copper. My copper test strips and the sample I took to a local pool shop all show the copper levels are fine. However, since my daughter and I have a lovely green tint to our hair every time we swim, I'm assuming those tests are not accurate. The book that came with my SWG says if copper level is high (which I assume it is) to drain 20% of the pool and refill. I did that but we are still getting green in our hair. The book also says that you can add aluminum sulfate to take care of the problem. I bought some but can't really find anything about this online so I'm afraid to add it to my pool. Does anyone know anything about adding aluminum sulfate? Will it really reduce the copper?
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP!!! Green hair!

Have you thought about unhooking the copper plate on your swg? It will still produce chlorine it just won't add the copper.......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes! In my research today I discovered that you can do that. As soon as my hubby can help me figure out how to do that, I'm definitely going to. I still need to get rid of the existing copper though. Thanks for your reply!
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, bella44

Getting rid of copper once it is in a pool is difficult...obviously better not to have it there in the first place. The best way to lower it is to do a drain/refill.

For the swg (I assume you have the intex with the copper bars?), all you need to do is disconnect the copper bars by unscrewing the nut and pulling off the connector. It can be left hanging.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum

Here's one thread w/info: green-is-in-but-not-for-hair-sequestrant-t48496.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for te replies! So, can I try the aluminum sulfate? Will it hurt anything?
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bella44
    Thanks for te replies! So, can I try the aluminum sulfate? Will it hurt anything?
    We do not recommend using aluminum sulfate, though I have not read on here that it will hurt anything, but I have also not read anything on here that suggests it will help your copper issue either.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The book also says that you can add aluminum sulfate to take care of the problem.
    What Book? I would never put something in my pool when I wasn't sure of the result. I have no idea what that chemical does.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

The book that came with the SWG. It's in the troubleshooting section.
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame

10. Back To Top    #10

Aluminum sulfate is a floc but not a very good one for what you need done. You're best bet is to unhook the copper bars and drain about half of the pool and refill with a known metals free water source.

Quite often the metals tests are not accurate and metals will be a lot higher than they indicate. Also, some hair is more sensitive to copper than most and it shows up readily. If you have a problem with getting your hair "ungreen" you can use Nexxus Aloe Rid treatment and Aloe Rid Shampoo. There's a thread here that goes into it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit