New Pool-Cant afford foam this summer

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
Greetings,

Just finished getting the ground excavated for our 16x48 intex Ultra Frame pool.

We have black clay here and lots of rocks in our soil. When the soil is dry it is hard like concrete, however when it rains "not that often in South Texas these days" the soil can turn into gumbo.

I had to pay $175.00 for the excavation and cant afford another $150 right now for the pink panels to lay on the soil.

Here is my question, I plan on setting up the pool from now till the end of Sept, then draining and removing the pool, purchasing the pink panels and then two tarps to go on top of that.

In the meantime would we be safe to just lay the ground cloth that came with the pool over the cleared soil for the few months we will have the pool up?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome.

I don't forsee any problems in doing so since I believe, INTEX gives the ground cloth in the package.

You can always add to the pool later. :goodjob:

Yes! Foam, new pump/filter/skimmer, SWG, fountains... a.k.a. upgrades! :mrgreen:

Thanks to all for the input and help.

Now then, back to my OCD, I had a horrible thought. This clay that I am on when wet turns into muck, and when you consider the fact that water will be splashed over the pool sides, rain, etc etc I am now concerned about the legs sinking into this muck when it rains.

Long term "for next year" I am thinking to use the 3/4 crushed stone on top of the clay soil compacted and leveled as a permanent base for the pool. I know that once this stuff is compacted it forms a hard and I do mean hard base that is like concrete and less likely I think to settle or sink than the native soil would be.

Any insight into this would also be appreciated, I am just trying to plan ahead for next year. So the crushed stone compacted very well, then the foam panels, then a heavy duty tarp, with the pool on top of this, I would think this would also eliminate the need for pavers under the legs as well. This is how our DBLWD mobile is setup and it weighs 32 tons and has not gone out of level in over 16 years,

Your thoughts?

Unkyjoe... gotta tell you I laugh when I see your name! It just tickles me! :mrgreen:

I have a thread going right now on my pool build. I'm going through some pretty impressive, squishy, clay soil which has halted my dig. I can't do anything right now because it rained all night. I have been going back n forth in my head on what I need to do and crush is definitely in my future! It's about the only substance you can use safely to build up/fill in with when it comes to AGP Building. It's also a good product to use with clay n provides drainage without making the pool site a slushy, goopy, sinking mess!

You must use a plate compactor with this to set it. Bring the crush in using 3"-6" lifts, compacting as you go.

I have at least 20 tons in my immediate future! :shock:

Casey,

Thats good information, we hired a guy yesterday to level the ground, however now that we have the pool set in the spot he dug and filling with water it is still not level :hammer: I am gonna call this guy back and let him know about it, but we are going with filling the pool for the 3 months we will be using it.

Then draining it and having the crushed stone brought in and plate vibrated and leveled as I can see this is going to be the only way to level and stablize the soil we are on.

Keep me updated as to your progress as I would surely like to copy your method, and pray that our pool lasts through the summer. We got it at Academy last year for $349 I see it for sale now for over $500 so we got a good deal.

Thanks, yeah I have about 20 nieces and nephews that all call me unkyjoe, it stuck :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.