Are we on the right track???

Jun 24, 2013
We came back from our honeymoon in April to a green pool. We took sample to Leslies. Spent $$$ and it turned cloudy blue. Took 2 more samples and kept spending $$$. We finally replaced about 20% of the water and it cleared up for about 2 weeks. Then it rained last week and cloudy again.

TFP said buy a test kit. I did, wrong one as I rushed out before I really understood recommendations but it will do for now. (Leslie's DPD Complete)

2 days ago we tested everything.
FC 2
CC 5
PH 7.2
CYA 0

I don't recall the other numbers but we input into the calculator and it told us what to add. We added 15 lbs stabilizer along with the required baking soda and chlorine. Yesterday we tested PH and FC again. PH was still 7.2 and FC was0.5.

Today we tested FC and PH. PH was 7.2 still but FC was about 0.

I found a thread about the shock process which made it even more clear than the article I read. It's taking a little time to understand how it's all related! I read that I need to test the FC about once and hour and keep it at shock level. Went to Costco!!

Before I began I tested CYA since it had only been 2 days I wasn't sure, but it tested at50. Sp according to chart shock level FC should be 20. We added enough bleach to get it to 20.

After an hour and a half we tested FC again and it's at 20!

Are we on the right track?????

PS: This is my very first post! I hope I did it right.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I am a little confused. Do you only have the DPD test kit?
If so, how are you measuring the FC at 20ppm?
If not, the first step is to order the FAS-DPD chlorine test to add to you kit ... it is the key to the recommended test kits:
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

It sure sounds like you are on the right track if you are following the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS :goodjob:

Ask questions as they come up.

Welcome to TFP. With your can do and want to learn attitude, you will turn this around in short order. Hope you enjoy it here, and I can gaurantee you'll learn more than the pool store wants you to know. Again, Welcome!

Thanks! Yes I only bought the DPD kit. It was my haste that made the mistake. However, in the kit it tells you how to test off the chart by diluting with tap water. I'm doing a little guessing based on color but for now it's all I have. The most recent test tested at about FC 15. We added a little more. But I am excited that we are getting pink!! The whole summer has been at 0 or 0.5!! Also, I saw on one of your links Taylor?? That I can buy just the FAS chlorine test for about $27 dollars to add to the kit. Is that the correct test?

I was wondering about that! I was pretty sure tap water had chlorine too. I will order one ASAP. In the mean time, I'll continue my dilute and guess method. LOL. How many days does the shock process usually take?

It can take weeks, so patience is in order. I recently helped a friend with a 11,000 gallon pool and it took almost a month. Mine took 3 weeks to clean up what the previous owner left me. I see two weeks a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I am a little confused. Do you only have the DPD test kit?
If so, how are you measuring the FC at 20ppm?
If not, the first step is to order the FAS-DPD chlorine test to add to you kit ... it is the key to the recommended test kits:
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

It sure sounds like you are on the right track if you are following the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS :goodjob:

Ask questions as they come up.
Is this a subtle contest hint?

harleysilo said:
Is this a subtle contest hint?

Sadly I am not eligible {Although I hope someone entered one I was working on that ended up in the public area ... I think it could be a front runner :)} ... I will have to change my copy/paste sheet when we get a winner. For now I just like to emphasize the process portion ;)

POOL UPDATE: Last night FC was about 20. This morning FC was about 15. I added more bleach to raise to 20 again. I'm sure the daily southern thunderstorms are not helping. Deep end still very cloudy. :( Should I be testing anything else at this point or just continue testing FC?

Rhoadal said:
POOL UPDATE: Last night FC was about 20. This morning FC was about 15. I added more bleach to raise to 20 again. I'm sure the daily southern thunderstorms are not helping. Deep end still very cloudy. :( Should I be testing anything else at this point or just continue testing FC?

We always like to see a full set of numbers so whatever you can test for and show us would be good. If your kit does it, we also need to see the CC number so we know Total Chlorine. Free versus Combined. If you haven't added CYA, then don't test for that again until a week after you add it. Not having CYA is also not helping if there is much sunlight on the pool.

NOTE: On diluting for your FC, you can use distilled water or bottled drinking water. Your tap may have up to 4 or 5 PPPM FC, so that could skew your numbers. This is for diluting FC test only for now.

All that said, it looks like you are still losing a significant amount of FC overnight, so there is still shocking to be done. Good work and keep us posted.

Couple points:
1. You do not have bromine, so no point in reporting BR
2. The pH test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm
3. 20ppm is the shock value for CYA of 70ppm according to the calculator, the chart in Pool School lists a shock value of 28ppm ... so there is no harm in going a little higher than 20ppm.

At this point just keep testing FC and CC ... nothing else should really change.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.