Jun 25, 2013
This is the first year I am using a saltwater system with my intex 18'x42" round pool. I purchased a 2500gph pump as well (yah maybe overkill but so be it). I have followed the charts and added appropriate salt and stabilizer. When testing my pool, these are the results:
Copper: 0
Free chlorine: low 0.5
pH: ok 7.2
alkalinity: high to very high

I have tried the boost function for the copper part..didnt seem to help. My manual says I need to run it at 2 hours for its size but maybe I should run longer? Haven't tried yet. I vacuumed out the pool but the next day I always seem to have stuff back on the bottom. Don't know if its dirt, algae or what. It looks more brownish. I cannot "backwash" or whatever that is as I just have a simple pool setup. We have been getting alot of rain so I do I need to add an algaecide or is my saltwater system supposed to take care of all that? I think I read that I need to get my alkalinity lowered but I do not know how. Please help me, and be careful with all the chemical abbreviations and pool talk because I don't really know what they all are lol.

Thanks,
Carrie

Ignore copper. You do NOT want copper in your pool.

You don't have enough figures here to properly maintain your pool. I don't see how much salt you have in the pool. Alkalinity needs to be a number. I strongly suggest you get your own test kit and take control yourself. Look on http://tftestkits.net for options.

Pool school at the top right will help you with the abbreviations.

You need to add bleach now to bring FC up to 3, then the SWG will take over.

I thought you did want copper for the saltwater system.. it shows a range of 0.1 - 0.2 as the ok range. the alkalinity according to the test strip is 10. The salt I added was 95 lbs according to the chart for my size.

That copper thing is Intex's answer to complaints of green pools. What the people who complain to the manufacturer are not telling them is that "I just put water in, and expect the SWCG to take care of everything".

Here you will learn that copper is what turns hair and fingernails green, and can put some nasty stains on everything the water touches.

By reading Pool School, you will learn that caring for your pool can be very simple, quick, and easy.

Most people here that have the copper ion addition to the SWCG disconnect it as soon as they can.

Test strips are notorious for being inaccurate, AT BEST. Do yourself and your pool a huge favor, and buy one of the recommended test kits. You will find in short order that this will be the absolute best investment towards keeping your pool clean, clear, and safe to swim in.

I have read the pool school but its pretty much information overload for me. Too many combinations of chemicals and apparently I'm just not smart enough :( I will look into the test kits but if I spend any more money (that I don't have) on this pool, my bf will flip. I was hoping to SAVE money this year with the salt water. Thanks for your time :)

Carrie

The short of salt is:
You want a CYA of around 70-80.
I keep my FC around 4, you can go a little higher if you drift under 2 while the pump is off.
pH will drift. Watch your pH, test at least every 3 days. If it's a huge problem, your TA may need to be adjusted.

The largest problem is the pool stores don't test accurately in most cases, especially when it comes to CYA.

Salt systems don't save money, it comes out about a break-even compared to using bleach. But it's way easier, especially for someone like me with a huge pool. I don't have to bring home hundreds of bleach bottles anymore. And, if you go on trips a lot like me, you can sleep easy knowing your pool is going to be chlorinated automatically.

You are smart enough to seek the advice for great pool people here.

Pool school can seem intimidating at first read, but as you read through it again some items will click.

Don't get discouraged. We were all where you are now at one time.

Charlie.. I am going by the only method of testing i have right now.. the test strips that came with my saltwater system. I posted the wrong number for alkalinity.. mine is according to the strip.. in between 180 and 240. Hard to tell because the color isnt exact. Either way its high compared to where its says is ok on the chart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.