Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I taking a risk with my sanitation?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I taking a risk with my sanitation?

I have a 8x8 Calspa hot tub. I use Nature 2 and an ozonator. I shock it once a week with an over-sized 1/4 cup MPS and 2 teaspoons of dichlor. I use dichlor before and after each use. We use it in streaks sometimes going a 2+ weeks without use. I have done this for years and never had any water problems or health issues. The chlorine levels often go to zero, but I figured the Nature 2 and ozonator and weekly MPS/dichlor would keep it clean when not in use. It has been very low maintenance but is this risky? PS. Great board!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I taking a risk with my sanitation?

Welcome to TFP!

Are you measuring the MPS as well not just the chlorine? If the FC goes to zero, that's OK so long as the MPS level is not zero since the silver ions in Nature2 plus the MPS are a disinfecting combination. In fact, many people use mostly Nature2 plus MPS and only use chlorine once a week or so. That's a low-chlorine recipe for those that want that and it's EPA approved.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info. Does the ozonatar provide any additional protection if the MPS goes to zero?

4. Back To Top    #4

No, not usually, because 1) the ozonator is usually designed to not leave any substantial residual in the spa water because otherwise it would outgas and ozone is an EPA-regulated air pollutant and 2) the ozonator is not usually running 24/7 and is usually on only when the circulation pump is running. We have several reports of people who have ozonators and had spas that went south after not maintaining them, due to vacation or other reasons.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"