New Intex UltraFrame, KC Saltwater system,and Intex 56671EG

Jun 25, 2013
Ok, so I am hoping people will look in here to answer some questions as I have them, but for now this will be a start to my "build" page of our pool.

Last year we had a small 12' x 30" easy set. Was fun until I realized the pump was WAY underpowered and couldn't even vacuum. I ended up not putting forth a whole lot of effort to keep it clean as it was nearing the end of summer, so just let it go.

This year we decided to go bigger and nicer. I had found a metal sided above ground pool that was the perfect size for our back yard for $300 though would end up needing a liner etc. Well my wife didin't want something that permanent so we went with an Intex ultra Frame 14 footer I found on Craigslist for $175 with the Saltwater system and a few other goodies.

Even out the ground, lay some sand and a tarp, and start setting it up (was a long day)

Get it all set up, about to start filling it, when I realize I accidently forgot to put the final top rail piece through the pool liner. (Darn) that was an absolute pain to get out as the pool was standing already :hammer: but I eventually got it fixed.

Start filling the pool to realize that they failed to give us one of the connectors needed to hook up the saltwater system. (Darn) so I decide to bypass it for now as the manual says to put the salt in and run your filter for 24 hours before starting the unit up.

Well I hook the hoses up to the filter-pump and the pool, get it filled up, plug in the filter and......???????
NOTHING :evil:

Take the filter pump apart to realize water leaked into the motor area and it was effed.

So I bust out the old 550gph pump to at least somewhat circulate the water for the time being. ok so we got it going, now to go on CL and find a new pool pump.filter... search search search. Find a couple, but nothing that seems like a steal, so eventually land on the Intex 56671EG sand filter and pump on Amazon for $154 shipped. I decide. screw it, lets try it.

Read lots of reviews that it has lots of power and makes a huge difference in people's pools.

Well, that is where I am at now.. Waiting for that to show up in the mail.

In the meantime, I would like to start planning the hard plumbing of it as I read it likes to collapse the plastic hoses it comes with (sweet).

Also plan to enlarge the jet hole, and would like to put in a through wall skimmer, but should that wait until I drain the pool a ways for winter?

Thanks for reading :goodjob:

Re: New Intex UltraFrame, KC Saltwater system,and Intex 5667

I've seen at least 1 person who put in a new skimmer without draining. You basically just have to do a little work underwater. Or you could just drain enough to get down to the bottom of where you're going to put the skimmer.

Not sure how you could enlarge the returns though without draining it a bit.

blacknoir said:
I've seen at least 1 person who put in a new skimmer without draining. You basically just have to do a little work underwater. Or you could just drain enough to get down to the bottom of where you're going to put the skimmer.

Not sure how you could enlarge the returns though without draining it a bit.

Thanks, I was concerned that with the pressure I would put a slice in the liner and the whole thing would come flying down. like

Draining it a ways isnt too big of a deal.

I read somewhere, can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, where someone took a glass Pyrex bowl and had someone in the pool hold it over the jet to cut it larger. I think you'd lose some water when taking the old jet out and putting the new one in, but if the person is quick with the bowl it shouldn't be too much and the suction should help hold it while you cut.

I just installed mine, the pool wasn't quite full yet so no water issues. Before I cut the opening I drilled all the holes. Then I screwed the whole thing together, after cutting the butterfly seal in half. Once it was firmly attached I cut the opening. It would have been a bit tricky with more water but still possible. I'd do something like use an awl to make the holes and then a screwdriver to fasten it when doing the screws below water. There'd be some minor water loss but not much.

Thank you, I will have to try that, I don't like the looks and of the intex skimmer, and doubt it as nearly as effective. I am impatiently waiting for the pump to arrive.

As for the bigger jet hole, I had read the same thing.. Cover it with a bowl. may have to try that. I am planning to if I do the skimmer, just let out a foot of water or so, I like the idea of doing the screws first.. Any certain skimmer recommended over others?

Most people are getting the Hayward Skimmer. That's what I got.

btw, if you go to the 1 1/2" returns you might not need to enlarge the holes. When I did mine the holes were actually a bit bigger then the returns so no cutting needed.

The pump fittings are 1 1/2", with the adapter, so there's really no point in going any bigger. I'm using 1 1/2" pvc to connect everything together, getting rid of the flex piping that comes with the pool, pump and swg. Make sure you don't have anything that reduces it below 1 1/2", like the intex returns which look like they might go even smaller in the middle parts and then up to 1 1/4" on each end.

Ugh.. so angry right now.. How convenient that even though I ordered almost a week ago, and got charged. I get an email saying the pump is not available and my order was canceled. Now to find out if they are refunding my money. And magically now they went from $156 up to around $200. Oh how I love shopping online. Guess maybe I will get the pool done next year by the time the Dang thing shows up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The canceled one is the bigger model which most people seem to recommend. I went with the bigger 2560 model as well. Your pool is pretty big so you might want the larger model.

Actually it looks like the one I ordered is actually bigger. (110 lb capacity rather than 100) and apparently the same pump if it is also 2650gph. I will check out the 2560. Even though my pool is only a 14 footer by 42, I want the best choice

confused on the difference

the one i bought:
2,650 gallon (10,030 L) per hour pump flow rate, 2,200 (8,327 L) gallon per hour system flow rate
16 in (410mm) Heavy-Duty Tank, 110 Lb. (50 Kg) Sand Capacity
6 Settings – Standard Filtration, Backwash, Rinse, Re-circulate, Drain, and Close
Powerful pump with leaf basket for all your pool filtration and vacuuming needs
24-hour Auto Timer for extra easy pool maintenance
No. 20 silica sand can be purchased at your local pool store
Pump flow rate is measured at the intake of the pump (used to compare pumps)
System flow rate is measured at the suction fitting inside the pool
System flow rate is used to determine if the suction outlet fitting on your pool is adequate
110-120 Volt with

The one Amazon dicked me out of:
Powerful 0.95 HP / 2,650 GPH keeps your water sparkling clean (pump flow rate: 2650 GPH, system flow rate: 2200 GPH)
Simple to use and easy operation that will outperform your standard cartridge filter systems
Heavy duty 16" sand filter tank diameter (sand not included)
Easy operation 6-way filter valve makes maintenance easy, giving options to backwash, rinse, recirculate, drain, filter and close system
Strainer basket included on pump prolongs the life of the sand and is easy cleaning
This Intex sand filter pump is best suited for above ground pools with a water capacity up to 21,200 gallons (80,250 L), however it will work with smaller Intex above ground pools with the addition of hose adapters.
The Intex Sand Filter System includes 2 hoses with an inside diameter of 1.5” and 1.25" adapters. Pools not manufactured by Intex and non-standard pools may require plumbing adapters which may be purchased at your local hardware or pool store.
This sand filter pool pump uses number 20 silica sand, also called 0.45 to 0.85 mm (0.018 to 0.033 inches) with a Uniformity Coefficient less than 1.75.
GFCI electrical protection, works with your standard 110-120V Outlet
Manufacturer Part Number: 56671EG
Product Condition: New
Warranty: Two Year Intex Manufacturer Warranty

But the weird thing is, if you go to http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/home ... 671eg.html it shows a pic of the one I ordered but is also calling it the 56671EG as you can see in the URL..... Now I am really confused.. Maybe I don't have to be angry anymore haha

the one you ordered looks exactly like the one I got, the pic on the one I ordered is wrong, mine looks like the one you got. Also, it doesn't quite hold 100lbs of sand, there will be a little left over from the second bag by the time you reach the max line.

Also, don't freak out when the pressure gauge ends up right at the border between yellow and green after your initial backwash, seems to be common with this filter, lots of people have reported this, and it happened on mine too.

If you decide to do the hayward skimmer get this too http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP0723-Tr ... ball+valve (the NPT version) It screws right into the bottom of the skimmer and you screw the hose barb adapter that comes with skimmer into the bottom of the ball valve. The intex hose slips nicely onto the hose barb and secure with a hose clamp. The instructions for installing the Hayward say to have at least 2 feet of water in the pool when you install it, you want the tension on the walls.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.