Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Speakers for travertine paver pool deck?

1. Back To Top    #1

Speakers for travertine paver pool deck?

Hi, I have been reading on the forum for several months now - prior to and now as we are under construction on gunite pool in Austin, Texas. Due to being on steep lot, much of the pool is elevated above ground (all coping is between 1 to 4 feet above ground) and deck is level with pool - so no flower beds to put speakers in. Also, our deck is travertine pavers, set over a concrete base.

I have a Sonos system to power 2 pairs of speakers around the pool and we are running conduit for wire under the deck to each speaker location. However, I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out type of speakers and how to 'stub out' the termination of the conduit.

There are two 'sitting areas' in the deck plan and one pair of speakers will go to each area. One will have rock privacy wall on two sides and the other has a 4' iron fence, basically in a semicircle around area. I prefer a 'clean' look and would love the look of the Bose round in ground domes, but the omni-directional speakers are a non-starter.

My current 'best' idea is rock speakers on deck, the small Niles are fairly low profile and have good reviews. (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190RS5PCW/ ... tml?tp=188)

Option two is to get small wall mount speakers and to put on the wall in area one and on rail in area two, but I think my wall will be solid, so I would have vertical runs of wire from deck to speaker in all four locations. Also not sure how sturdy speakers would be on rails. Here are some Niles I have considered for this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190OS53W/N ... tml?tp=188

For either option, I have no idea on how to stub out the termination in the deck and PB doesn't really have a suggestion, although he did say there is now a 4" pour-a-lid available, so I was thinking that with a hole drilled through might work. Particularly if I go with option one (rock speakers) I need some way to conceal and protect wire/connections.

I have not found any good pictures or descriptions of either setup, so I would love to hear suggestions or experiences with similar setups! Thanks!

ps: I have my TFT-100 kit and Stenner Pump/15 gal tank ready to go!
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Speakers for travertine paver pool deck?

I would say a weather proof electrical box. Then you could buy the hook ups for the box etc....

BTW, I have the Stenner/15 gal set-up and it really is very nice!
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Telnet64
    Hi, I have been reading on the forum for several months now - prior to and now as we are under construction on gunite pool in Austin, Texas. Due to being on steep lot, much of the pool is elevated above ground (all coping is between 1 to 4 feet above ground) and deck is level with pool - so no flower beds to put speakers in. Also, our deck is travertine pavers, set over a concrete base.

I have a Sonos system to power 2 pairs of speakers around the pool and we are running conduit for wire under the deck to each speaker location. However, I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out type of speakers and how to 'stub out' the termination of the conduit.

There are two 'sitting areas' in the deck plan and one pair of speakers will go to each area. One will have rock privacy wall on two sides and the other has a 4' iron fence, basically in a semicircle around area. I prefer a 'clean' look and would love the look of the Bose round in ground domes, but the omni-directional speakers are a non-starter.

My current 'best' idea is rock speakers on deck, the small Niles are fairly low profile and have good reviews. (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190RS5PCW/ ... tml?tp=188)

Option two is to get small wall mount speakers and to put on the wall in area one and on rail in area two, but I think my wall will be solid, so I would have vertical runs of wire from deck to speaker in all four locations. Also not sure how sturdy speakers would be on rails. Here are some Niles I have considered for this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_190OS53W/N ... tml?tp=188

For either option, I have no idea on how to stub out the termination in the deck and PB doesn't really have a suggestion, although he did say there is now a 4" pour-a-lid available, so I was thinking that with a hole drilled through might work. Particularly if I go with option one (rock speakers) I need some way to conceal and protect wire/connections.

I have not found any good pictures or descriptions of either setup, so I would love to hear suggestions or experiences with similar setups! Thanks!

ps: I have my TFT-100 kit and Stenner Pump/15 gal tank ready to go!

Some pics would be helpful. If you're using outdoor rated direct burial cable there's no reason it needs to be in conduit other than for protection or through a chase.

Omni speakers are inefficient, IMO you can do better. If you go with rock speakers you'll make the connection to the pigtail cable on the rock with silicone filled wire nuts.

I have some pics of a recent install which may give you other ideas.

But like I said, a few pics would be helpful.
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the comments. I don't have pics as those areas aren't even formed yet (maybe this week, or definitely early next week). I'm using direct burial rated cables, but the wire will be under deck, so need conduit in case ever need to replace. I have seen the silicone filled connectors for outdoor use and plan on using them.

With rock speakers in flower bed it's easy to conceal connectors and excess cable under them. Not so easy with travertine pavers, hence the idea for the 4" pour-a-lid.
    12k gal IGP/Spa, gunite, Jandy 2HP ePump VSP, Jandy CL 460 Cartridge Filter, LXI400 Heater, PebbleSheen, Polaris 280, stenner 45MPHP10 auto chorine feeder

5. Back To Top    #5

What are the joints between pavers going to be like?

Could you have a paver that lifts out exposing a "trap door" at speaker location. You could drill holes through the pavers for wires and to lift it out of its spot.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Harleysilo, that's an interesting idea and similar to what I was thinking of doing with the pour-a-lid. In Texas, the builders pour concrete and thin set the pavers to the concrete.

7. Back To Top    #7

I've seen pour a lids before, with some carefully saw work you could cut a circle out of travertine, and thinset that in the pour-a-lid, assuming its not to thick.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, that's what my PB does. In my OP, I mentioned my current plan is rock speakers using these 4" lids with a hole drilled through for wires. Just making sure no better ideas available. It's amazing that I haven't been able to find anything even suggesting this after searching web and forums exhaustively.

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you tried John Bridge tile forum yet?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

No, I haven't heard of that. Will check it out now! Thx!

11. Back To Top    #11

That's the go to forum for all things tile. Post up there and I'd ask about expansion joints on your patio, they are needed to prevent pop ups or tenting down the road.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry to hit this old thread. Did you ever find your solution? Please consider sharing.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    Sorry to hit this old thread. Did you ever find your solution? Please consider sharing.
    I think with today's technology I would be looking at Bluetooth speakers.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank you. I was specifically interested in the OP's plan to run wire up/through his tile. Sonos and other products are, IMO, vastly superior to Bluetooth, not to mention the wide variety of options with outdoor speakers.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    Thank you. I was specifically interested in the OP's plan to run wire up/through his tile. Sonos and other products are, IMO, vastly superior to Bluetooth, not to mention the wide variety of options with outdoor speakers.
    I'm not arguing about hardwire should be better than Bluetooth but I got a couple of UE Booms and they're not too shabby
    http://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-ue-boom/
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017