Pool Green from Ketrol

Jun 25, 2013
Hello,

New to the forum but old to the pool. I've had mine now about 7 years and seen most everything but after opening this year, while the pool was nice and crystal clear, I was seeing slight algae on the sides of the pool (in ground/liner). So, this past weekend, i went to my local pool place and had them test my water. They found it high in copper.

They advised me to purchase Ketrol and 25LBs of Alkalinity stuff. One thing they didn't mention was to NOT shock it before putting Ketrol in. What I had done was actually get my water sample, then tossed in two 1lb shock bags before heading to the place. After returning, I added 10ozs of Ketrol on Saturday and waited to Sunday for the Alkalinity powder (8, 8, 9 lbs every three hours = 25lbs - per the guy at pool place).

By this time however it was already a deep green. It was clear, but green, different that the usual funky algae look,

After calling them yesterday, they said, well, I should not have shocked it and I was told the Ketrol is somehow counteracted by the shock and that I should add another dose of Ketrol. Well, did all that, still green.

What's my next move here to clean this baby up?

Thanks,

Eric
Kirk Productions

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I am not really following what the point of the alkalinity adjustment is for as that is not usually mentioned when dealing with metals.

Do you have metal stains on the pool or is it just that the water is green?

Here is how we recommend dealing with metals:
pool-school/metal%20stains

Basically you need to use one of the recommended sequestrants ... what are the ingredients in the Ketrol?

Sorry, my pH was off too or something. I don't have all my readings at the moment but can post from home.

Since the water wasn't maintaining chlorine and they said I had the high copper, they told me to put in the Ketrol first. Apparently it collects the copper and then it falls to the bottom. I have no stains (at least not yet) and the water is green. It's almost a bit in between a metal brown and green.

Eric

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I am not really following what the point of the alkalinity adjustment is for as that is not usually mentioned when dealing with metals.

Do you have metal stains on the pool or is it just that the water is green?

Here is how we recommend dealing with metals:
pool-school/metal%20stains

Basically you need to use one of the recommended sequestrants ... what are the ingredients in the Ketrol?

Ok, so I got home and boy what a difference last night and today made. So, I've attached the picture for your reference but after a backwash and about 24 hours, it seems to be moving along to coming clear. So, I guess it's working.

Eric

RobbieH said:
I think two things would be really helpful. Post your test numbers, and post a picture of the water.

Attachments

• Green Pool Kirk.jpg
    Green Pool Kirk.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 43
One important point, where did the copper come from, you might have copper in your fill water that builds in concentration over time due to evaporation, of your pool store may have sold you pool products containing copper (or both).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.