OKC renovation - forty-year facelift

I wish you would get your plaster soon. I'm getting impatient!

Walls look great by the way!

Thanks, everyone! We cannot wait for this to be done. We're just finishing week 23, and Monday starts week 24. My next-door neighbor started installation of his fiberglass pool about two weeks ago; he's got water, plumbing, and is just waiting on deck pour but the forms are set - we joke with him about how he'll be swimming long before we are! (Probably not a joke.)

Our PB is so uncommunicative, I really don't know what's going on. I just come home from work each day and hope to be surprised. There's been talk of plastering the last two weeks running, but no dice. Last night, the only difference I could see was a hammer drill and extension cord have appeared on my back porch. I'm hoping this means they will be coming to insert an extra channel drain in a low spot and to bust out the concrete around the shallow-side skimmer where the pour-a-lid is messed up. But I'm not holding my breath.

OK, because my Type-A personality can't help it, here's a condensed list of what I think is left:
1. Electrical and pool lights to be finished
2. Skimmer concrete re-done (please let the color match, please, please, please)
3. Additional channel drain, tie channel drains to main French drain, finish box drains behind wall
4. Brick planter rebuilt, redo stone on retaining wall edges wrap-around
5. Level yard
6. Plaster
7. Hand color concrete deck, matte seal
8. Set posts for pergola
9. Reset pool fence (change swing and handing of the gate, new safety latch)
10. And probably a dozen more minor details.

Mia, the transformation is looking great. I'm glad you stood your ground and went with the stone that you wanted. I can't get over the stamped concrete deck. I had to look several times to really appreciate what I was looking at. They did a fantastic job on int. Your attention to detail is really paying off!

Thanks, everyone! We cannot wait for this to be done. We're just finishing week 23, and Monday starts week 24. My next-door neighbor started installation of his fiberglass pool about two weeks ago; he's got water, plumbing, and is just waiting on deck pour but the forms are set - we joke with him about how he'll be swimming long before we are! (Probably not a joke.)

Our PB is so uncommunicative, I really don't know what's going on.

he must be related to my PB , LOL

still can't wait to see pics of your finished pool !!

Chris Fox - we decided on a plain gray plaster, no quartz. Our wallets are already bleeding on this project, so we are just doing what we can and will hope that taking good care of the plaster will help us out.

cnatra - you and me both!

I broke down and asked the PB again about getting some of the minor details wrapped up while we waited for plaster, then sent him a list of what I'm talking about. He says he'll try to get some of that going soon. Went home last night expecting to lay on my lounger next to my pool shell and relax in the sunshine, but instead found plaster prep crew there, power washing and cleaning out the shell (which was supposed to be rescheduled til Friday, with plaster on Monday). They chipped out some hollow areas, then sprayed a spatter of some kind of bond coat (didn't recognize the brand, something with SAL in the name I think). They did this even though rain clouds were threatening, and of course it did rain last night. I asked them about chipping out the cracks and repairing them (something PB and I had discussed) and they said the cracks were solid and didn't need a chip out. So, I texted PB and he says that a different part of the crew repairs the cracks? I think this is unlikely since they appear to have begun prepping already, but what do I know. The weird thing is I thought a bond coat would be a solid coat, and this is a gray spatter that they applied with a compressor and a mixing vessel held overhead - kind of like applying some kinds of drywall texture, I think. Any ideas?

In the continuing comedy of errors, after they left, I noticed a defect in the coping on the pool steps. I couldn't figure out what I was seeing, but as I walked around the deck I saw more and more of the same, then tell-tale swirling marks. I am surmising they held their pressure washer tip too close to the deck and it totally ate into the concrete in a spiral pattern where it was close, and further away in a swooshing pattern. ARGH!

Texted some pics to PB, he is supposed to meet the plaster supe out there this a.m.

Untitled by MiaOKC, on Flickr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, that doesn't look at all like the prep work for my grey plaster that I had put in last week. Did they just chisel out around the returns? Not around the tile? It is hard to tell in the pictures. After they chiseled and sand blasted mine, they "painted" on a solid white coat of bonding agent. I don't know what it was exactly because there was a language barrier. The guy called it 'plaster primer coat'. It looked like white paint to me. I am attaching a link to my pool facelift thread - it is picture heavy with prep work that went on. Also, my grey plaster has been in for about a week and I love it. Seriously. I chose it because I wanted a more smooth finish because we play hard in the pool, but I am so very very very happy with the color and the texture. I don't regret it at all right now - not even a smidge. And some of the pool cos that bid it made me feel like I was really being cheap and would totally regret my decision not to spend more money. I am with you hoping that the finish lasts the 7 - 10 years, but right now I couldn't be more happy with it. Here is the link w pictures: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-(for-a-while-it-looked-like-ectoplasm!-eek!)

I didn't put this picture in the post that I linked you to because it just looks like a white pool with the tile line chiseled, but this is my pool right before they started plastering. The dark spots are debris that blew in after it was "primed". The plaster crew got all that out before they started their work. HTH!

Thanks, G&G. I noticed they didn't chip out at the tile line (only at fittings, lights and hollow spots) but think that may have been because we had new tile applied. It sticks out a bit from the wall, and they did go around and clean up the mortar squeezed out below the tile line, so I am hopeful that part (at least) is OK. I posted a pic below from when the tile was first applied because it kind of shows how the plane of the tile is different than the wall plane.

We also had the skimmer that had the messed up pour-a-lid repoured this week - have all fingers and toes crossed that the color lightens out, because we didn't spend a small fortune to have this deck that already looks like a patch job. It doesn't appear they put the foam tape in the expansion gap right here - probably another cut corner that will make us pay down the line. Gah - hate being such a debbie downer but I am so very, very done with this whole project, it's hard to be positive.

OMG... those swirls would send me through the roof!!! ugh.......................

I've had problems I never expected, details, things that shouldn't even come up. Things that ought to be a given they were done right, but alas, no. I've kept it off forum and will for the most part, but it is enraging. A few friends seems surprised at my griping, not because I'm too perfectionist, more in amazement at my apparent naivete'. Comments like "what, you never dealt with contractors before?" or "what did you expect?". I guess I just expected things to be done correctly, and not have things messed up, not having to ask for correction of the MOST basic simple things so...excuuuuuse me!!! I know exactly how you feel, believe me.

Oh my! Those swirls look like slinky's! I hope they can fix everything for you. I'm with Patrick - these contractors seem to just be going through the motions and don't really care about the quality of the finished product. I'm still dealing with mine and seriously tired of it, I'm guessing they hope we will all just get tired of complaining and live with the problem?!?!?! Between selling the previous house and buying this one I've had contractors at my house every week for over a year, now we have to put a new roof/gutters on due to the hail - ugh! Good luck!

It is SO frustrating - especially when you can guess that most people who are on this forum are here because they are doing everything they can to be an educated consumer ... I wonder how pool owners that just write the checks are being treated and what kind of final product they end up with? I shudder to think.

It's hard to believe, but I actually have held back from putting it all out there online. This isn't the place to drag a small business through the mud, even an unidentified small business, but I do think an impartial retelling of the facts is OK. I've tried my best but my personal feelings have certainly bled through in some cases. I think sometime around the start of month five I finally broke. :)

In the latest news, PB thinks he may be able to do something with the lighter swirls on the deck, but doesn't think he can do anything but tear out and repour the coping that is damaged. DH and I do not want to add any more "patches" to the deck, we do not think they will match the color and already fear the skimmer patch will stick out like a sore thumb. We will wait and see how the fix looks before moving forward with any other remedies/compromises.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.