Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cloudy pool for 5 weeks

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy pool for 5 weeks

Have had metal issues since I opened the pool. Now its phosphates. Its been cloudy since I opened it 5 weeks ago. I never had these issues. Today my water test is
    Fc 0.2
    Tc 0.3
    Ph 7.4
    T.alk 110
    Cya 25
    Phosphate 2500
    Pool place said everything else was good. Just can't clear it up no matter what they tell me to do.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: cloudy pool for 5 weeks

Your problems are certainly not phosphates and almost as certainly not metals. Mostly you lack chlorine in your pool. You are being "pool-stored"

If you are interested in what we teach, you will, at some point, need to buy your own good test kit and take charge of your pool. We'll help you get it crystal clear but you are going to have to stay out of that pool store.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....that'll be a good start.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ignore the phosphates. I think this is the third thread about phosphates today.

The pool place thinks FC of .2 is OK? Time to ignore the pool place, I can give you two good reasons.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well I can't keep chlorine in it. It will show up in my test the morning after shocking it and then by evening its just about gone. I have been doing shock just about every other day and nothing changes.

5. Back To Top    #5

What "shock" product are you using?

I'm suspect of those test numbers. I'm thinking they are not accurate.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe it is Sustain shock. Im not home so im not positive but those are the products they use.

7. Back To Top    #7

The Sustain tablets are calcium hypochlorite. It adds calcium to the pool, and can cause clouding. I used Power Powder Pro (basically the same thing, just Leslie's brand) when I first moved in to bring calcium up. It clouded my water too.

I don't see a CH number in your test results. If you've been using Sustain, you may have very high CH which will be trouble to keep clear. You'll have to really stay on top of pH and TA.

8. Back To Top    #8

Also, every 'shock' product is primarily some form of chlorine, whether liquid or powder, with additives you may or may not want in your pool. Powder costs much more.

Chlorine is bleach, and is available at different concentrations. Higher = stronger.

You personally can't keep chlorine in your particular pool because most likely it is being used up by killing the algae.
    Algae can make your pool cloudy, too. And if not killed, it will grow make your pool green.
    Right now, the algae is growing just as fast, or faster than you are killing it. That's likely another reason why you're not seeing improvement.

In a virtually unused, perfectly clean and chemically balanced pool, a Free Chlorine level of 3 is pretty much the absolute minimum. A Free Chlorine level of 5 is much better.

And you post that you are at .2. Are you sure it's not 2 rather than .2?

If it is .2, that's 1/25th of the amount of chlorine required to maintain.

If it's really 2, that's less than half necessary to maintain a clean and used pool, and as the level for killing algae is 15, approximately, you are around 1/8th the amount of chlorine required for the shock process.
    Please Read Pool School. Several times. You might start with The Shock Process.

Don't let them sell you products for Phosphates. While it's true that algae feeds on phosphates and other 'debris' in your pool, if you kill the algae, it won't be there, eating and growing at all.

You can keep your pantry full of food, but if no one is home to eat it, it just stays there. Right? Same thing with phosphates in your pool.
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

9. Back To Top    #9

It is .2. And the ch is 320.

10. Back To Top    #10

The problem is too low a chlorine level for too long. Go study up on the shock process in pool school, buya whole bunch of bleach, and have at it. You aren;t too late to have a crystal clear sparkly pool that will be the envy of all who see it by Fourth of July, if you start now and follow directions.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you. Im gonna try the bleach. From what I calculated, I need79 oz. That seems like a lot. Would that be normal

12. Back To Top    #12

That doesn't sound like much to me at all, but my pool is kind of large.

Keep in mind, for the shock process, you'll need enough bleach to HOLD the shock level. You will likely need many bottles, not one.

13. Back To Top    #13

Don't willy nilly dose here and there either. The pool does not need a break. It needs a steady diet of chlorine to shock levels. It's called a process. Don't let up until it's complete.

Please, do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a TF-100 or a K-2006 test kit. You will need it to complete the shocking process.

Welcome to TFP! We won't pool store you! We don't own a pool store... just a pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I am now up to 4 bottles of bleach in the pool. Isnt this gonna be a problem on skin or clothes that gets in the pool?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jma2013prob
    I am now up to 4 bottles of bleach in the pool. Isn't this gonna be a problem on skin or clothes that gets in the pool?
    Probably not, but how big is your pool? You can safely swim with your pool at it's Cl shock level.

If you complete your signature block with some details about your pool, it'll help folks give you some more accurate answers. Check out my sig block for an example.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

16. Back To Top    #16

My pool is 21 round and 4 ft. My chlorine levels definitely improved over night and I added a container if bleach this morning. Im anxious to see if I get any results when I get home today.

17. Back To Top    #17

JMA2013,

According to the Pool Calculator, you've about 10,400 gallons of water in your pool. Once you get the algae killed and the pool cleared, you'll probably be using around a quart of 8% to 10% chlorine bleach per day to maintain safety and cleanliness, just to give you a ballpark idea.

Getting the algae cleared out will require MUCH more. So we hope you are reading Pool School and using the Shock Process to do so.
    Good Luck!
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

18. Back To Top    #18

If your pool store or hardware or big box store sells chlorinating liquid, then that's also OK to use. You can easily compare them to determine which is most economical by dividing the price by the fluid ounces (volume) and divide that by the percent (as a fraction) of sodium hypochlorite in the ingredients. As an example, you might find 121 fluid ounces of the newer concentrated Clorox bleach that has 8.25% sodium hypochlorite selling for $3 and want to compare that to 128 fluid ounces (one gallon) of 12.5% chlorinating liquid selling for $4. The Clorox bleach is $3.00/121/0.0825 = 0.30 while the chlorinating liquid is $4.00/128/0.125 = 0.25 so the chlorinating liquid is more economical (and is less weight to carry).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

19. Back To Top    #19

Oh my goodness.....woke up to a crystal clear pool this morning. Its still not registering high chlorine but it finally looks beautiful. Now I have to stay on top of it. Thank you so much. Nothing like a crystal clear pool.

20. Back To Top    #20

Glad your pool is clearing up nicely, but you still need to follow the shock process to a T until you are done shocking.
    See red lines in my sig. You have three tests to pass. pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Post some pics of the pool for us
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast