Middle Tennessee
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have a question regarding a check valve that was recently added to plumbing. Per Pentair recommendations, we had check valve installed between filter and IC40. It is a spring valve and installed vertically. I have noticed a reduced flow rate and wanted to confirm that this could be caused by check valve. I would think that debris wouldn't be a problem since it is downstream from filter so is it just the inherent nature of the valve?

All check valves reduce the water flow at least a little. Spring style check valves do so more than other kinds of check valves. Flap style check valves are the best, ie have the least effect on the flow rate.

Ksnewman said:
I have noticed a reduced flow rate and wanted to confirm that this could be caused by check valve.
How did you notice the reduced flow rate? Out of the return or flow meter?

Has the filter pressure changed?

mas985 said:
Ksnewman said:
I have noticed a reduced flow rate and wanted to confirm that this could be caused by check valve.
How did you notice the reduced flow rate? Out of the return or flow meter?

Has the filter pressure changed?

I really didn't notice much on filter pressure. Where I noticed was that I was able to have my pump set at 1100 RPM and the SWG was happy with flow and chlorine production. After check valve was installed, this was not enough flow to keep SWG happy. I had to increase to 1250 or so. Also, I had the waterfall set on a low flow option for a "softer sound" of water falling and after check valve, the water wasn't flowing nearly enough to create that effect so I have had to increase that as well. My filter pressure may have gone up 1 psi but no more.

Ok, that makes sense. The SWG was probably borderline at 1100 RPM and the added head loss dropped it done some.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.