White, powdery substance coming from DE filter [W/ PICS]?

My first guess would be D.E. but it doesn't appear to be that. If you haven't figured it out yet i would suggest ruling out D.E. as a possibility by back washing your filter a good 5-7 times then dumping 1lb of D.E. and immediately watching your pools returns. If nothing comes out in 2-3 minutes then there's a good chance it's not your grids. Like i said it doesn't appear to be D.E. but it may have mixed with other things in the water depending on how many times its been disturbed.

It looks like a mixture of DE and tree/plant debris. You may have a broken grid. By the way, have you attempted to catch some of the spent DE when you backwash the filter? If it coming from the filter it should look about the same. Changing the spider gasket may fix the problem. If it doesnt I have a suggestion.

Another way to check if it is coming from the filter is to vacuum the pool manually, then turn the pump off for 24 hours. If you see junk coming out of the return while you vacuum then you have a filter problem. If the debris is much less after the pump has been off 24 hours that could also indicate a filter problem. If turning the filter off didn't make any difference then you need to look closer at possible debris in the environment causing the problem.

Thanks for the replies... I already disassembed the muilt-valve and removed the spider gasket, so I'm going to replace that. I also usually take the filter apart and clean the grids before opening, so when I do that, I'll check for holes in the grids. Can's wait to open! :D

Update:

I think I found the main cause of the problem...

20140413_122243_zpsff8177cd.jpg

I took apart my filter yesterday to clean my grids and I noticed a huge crack in the underside of the upper manifold. I ordered a new one ($43 w/ free shipping) from Amazon. I also noticed a small tear in one of my grids. I need to do a more thorough examination of the other grids, but it looks like I'll be replacing at least one. Hopefully fixing the grids, manifold and multiport gasket will solve my "white powdery substance" problem once and for all.

Thanks for the replies... I think it was from over-tightening. The first time I took the grids apart, I had a **** of a time getting them back together. I took it apart one weekend and then tried to reassemble a weekend or two later. I had forgotten how well it all sort of "snaps" together, so I didn't have it all lined up right initially and I thought I could just tighten it up and make it work. That's probably when it cracked.

I've since learned that it's not together right until it "snaps" in place.

UPDATE:

I ordered and received the upper manifold. I also ordered a whole new set of grids from http://www.inyopools.com/cartridges_unicel.aspx. The grids were $83 (shipped) and the upper manifold was $43 (shipped). Not bad considering the same parts and labor from the pool store would have been probably +$1,000. I installed everything last night. Had a much easier time assembling the grids than in the past. It only took me about 10 minutes. I think the key is to understand the cut-outs on top of each of the grids and how they have to align with the notches inside the upper manifold. I plan to open the weekend after next, so we'll see. Between the new manifold, grids and spider gasket on the multivalve, I better not have anymore of this white **** in my pool!

I think I'm ready to declare success on this issue... the pool's been open for almost a week and no signs of the white stuff. I think it was the cracked manifold and/or rips in the DE grids that was causing the problem. If anyone has a similar problem, I suggest you start there.

Kevin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.