Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to my pool- Ph 7.2.... raise it or leave it?

1. Back To Top    #1

New to my pool- Ph 7.2.... raise it or leave it?

My Ph has been 7.2 for the week I've been at our new house with pool. FC is between 2-4. I just ordered some Borax. Should I try and raise it to 7.5, or just let it ride?
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to my pool- Ph 7.2.... raise it or leave it?

Let it ride, for now.

What are you testing with? Or are you relying on a pool store?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just got a TF100 kit but also have a Leslie deluxe kit- both have the same Ph test.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater

4. Back To Top    #4

If the TA is over 100, the pH will be climbing soon enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TA is 90.... I'm going to dive into the big test kit and check the calcium level- prior owner used nothing but Leslie's shock granules and 3" tabs. But pool has only been open for a month, so maybe it hasn't risen too much yet.

6. Back To Top    #6

Post up a full set of test results as that could impact our recommendations ... although likely the pH is fine.

What are you using to add chlorine to the water?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll do a full test today or tomorrow. So far (had the pool for a week) been using the leslie chlorine shock granuales (73% hypo) and leaving 3, 3" tabs in a floater. I know, bad bad. I'm even more mad she (prior owner) drug me down to the pool store had me shell out several hundred $$$ on chemicals during our house "turn over". I'm going to start using clorox as soon as I can get down to costco. I have a gallon jug of clorox outdoor from home depot- I can use that in the mean time- will have to see what % it is and run it in the pool calculator.

8. Back To Top    #8

NO on the clorox outdoor, unless you LIKE foamy cloudy water. Outdoor contains detergents, that WILL make a mess in your pool.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah, good catch! I haven't read the label yet on the bottle. I'll hold off until I get regular clorox then.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by zimm
    I'll do a full test today or tomorrow. So far (had the pool for a week) been using the leslie chlorine shock granuales (73% hypo) and leaving 3, 3" tabs in a floater. I know, bad bad. I'm even more mad she (prior owner) drug me down to the pool store had me shell out several hundred $$$ on chemicals during our house "turn over". I'm going to start using clorox as soon as I can get down to costco. I have a gallon jug of clorox outdoor from home depot- I can use that in the mean time- will have to see what % it is and run it in the pool calculator.

DO NOT USE THE OUTDOOR BLEACH!!!! It will cloud your pool! Read here:

just-dumb-wrong-type-of-bleach-cloudy-water-t64111.html
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

The tablets are acidic and may continue to drive the pH and TA down. You really need to test the CYA and see if you are doing yourself a disservice by their continued use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Okay, Just got done playing with my TF100 test kit. Not exactly sure on the CYA though- the black dot never "disappears" but it goes to a grey around 90-100.

So....

FC 2
    Ph 7.2
    TA 110 (up from 90)
    CH 450
    CYA 90

What should I adjust? I pulled out the chlorine tabs. Need to get some clorox ASAP.

13. Back To Top    #13

Wait ... so did you fill the tube up completely and were still able to see the black dot? Or did you stop adding solution too early?

Review this:
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I read the thread and looked at the pics. I didn't loose the black dot at all with the full sample. Does that mean cya of 0?

15. Back To Top    #15

That means it is between 0 and 20ppm.

The pucks you have used have added some CYA so it is not zero. You need to get the CYA up to at least 30ppm to protect your chlorine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator