Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter/vac run time questions for newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter/vac run time questions for newbie

I've been running my pump 24/7 to recover from a cloudy/algae mess when I bought my house/pool and moved in last week. Now the water is clear and stable. I've been running it either all day, or all night. I just ordered a set of the pointers for the pool and vac timers so I can automatically trigger the pumps to run (they were missing). I'm thinking about trying the pool-school recommended 4 hours a day- so should I do 2 hours during the day and 2 at night? What about the pool vac? I could use some pointers.

The pool is outside with lots of trees nearby and even overhanging, so lots of leaves get into the pool. Also after a night with the pump off, the surface is loaded with bugs.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter/vac run time questions for newbie

You just need to figure out how long you need to run to keep the water looking clean enough for you.

Splitting the run time can aid in skimming debris before it has a chance to sink, so I like that idea.

The vac is on a separate booster pump? I have no experience with how fast they move, so may want to run a couple hours a day.

You saw this already right?
    pool-school/pump_run_time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

i run mine 4 hrs a day , pool is about the same size but i have 2 hp pump, the filter has to be on to run the little vacumn man polaris. Most people run alot longer. you will be using the hand skimmer alot and hate trees

4. Back To Top    #4

running 24/7 with algea must have to backwash alot