Filter/vac run time questions for newbie

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've been running my pump 24/7 to recover from a cloudy/algae mess when I bought my house/pool and moved in last week. Now the water is clear and stable. I've been running it either all day, or all night. I just ordered a set of the pointers for the pool and vac timers so I can automatically trigger the pumps to run (they were missing). I'm thinking about trying the pool-school recommended 4 hours a day- so should I do 2 hours during the day and 2 at night? What about the pool vac? I could use some pointers.

The pool is outside with lots of trees nearby and even overhanging, so lots of leaves get into the pool. Also after a night with the pump off, the surface is loaded with bugs.

You just need to figure out how long you need to run to keep the water looking clean enough for you.

Splitting the run time can aid in skimming debris before it has a chance to sink, so I like that idea.

The vac is on a separate booster pump? I have no experience with how fast they move, so may want to run a couple hours a day.

You saw this already right?
pool-school/pump_run_time

i run mine 4 hrs a day , pool is about the same size but i have 2 hp pump, the filter has to be on to run the little vacumn man polaris. Most people run alot longer. you will be using the hand skimmer alot and hate trees

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.