Effects of dead animals in skimmer-yuck

janthony

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 27, 2012
Clarksville, TN
So yesterday I found a huge dead mole in the skimmer. I thought it was a rat at first. I clean it out every day or so thank goodness but my guess is it had been there 18-24 hrs. I have probably found over a dozen mice, lots of frogs, salamanders, etc. before, but this was the largest so far. Needless to say I didn't go for my evening swim. Are there any safety concerns with finding dead animals in there? Waiting period to swim? Here were my test results from right after finding the mole.- Thanks.
FC-6.5
PH-7.5
TA-90
CYA-60

Your FC looks fine for your CYA. Do you know what the combined chloramine (CC) level is?

Ideally, it would have been best to run an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) last night when you discovered the critter. If you are not familiar with this process, I would read this article and perform this test the next time you have a similar situation.

I second the notion of adding some supplemental bleach today to temporarily increase FC a couple of points above normal. Then, I would perform the OCLT tonight just to be extra safe. Note that the directions for the OCLT call for shutting off the SWG just prior to beginning this test. If you pass the criteria when you test in the morning, do not forget to turn the SWG back on!

Usually dead things in the pool are only a problem if they are in an advanced state of decomposition, or the carcass is not intact. Like woody p and bodarville said, bump up the FC a bit. No need to shock unless you just want the extra peace of mind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.