Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Effects of dead animals in skimmer-yuck

1. Back To Top    #1

Effects of dead animals in skimmer-yuck

So yesterday I found a huge dead mole in the skimmer. I thought it was a rat at first. I clean it out every day or so thank goodness but my guess is it had been there 18-24 hrs. I have probably found over a dozen mice, lots of frogs, salamanders, etc. before, but this was the largest so far. Needless to say I didn't go for my evening swim. Are there any safety concerns with finding dead animals in there? Waiting period to swim? Here were my test results from right after finding the mole.- Thanks.
    FC-6.5
    PH-7.5
    TA-90
    CYA-60
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Effects of dead animals in skimmer-yuck

I wouldn't necessarily go to shock level, but I would raise the FC level 3 or 4 points over normal.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your FC looks fine for your CYA. Do you know what the combined chloramine (CC) level is?

Ideally, it would have been best to run an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) last night when you discovered the critter. If you are not familiar with this process, I would read this article and perform this test the next time you have a similar situation.

I second the notion of adding some supplemental bleach today to temporarily increase FC a couple of points above normal. Then, I would perform the OCLT tonight just to be extra safe. Note that the directions for the OCLT call for shutting off the SWG just prior to beginning this test. If you pass the criteria when you test in the morning, do not forget to turn the SWG back on!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, forgot to add that the CC was 0.
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by janthony
    Sorry, forgot to add that the CC was 0.
    Given that result, odds are everything is OK. Before anyone goes swimming, I would test FC and make sure it is still within target.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Usually dead things in the pool are only a problem if they are in an advanced state of decomposition, or the carcass is not intact. Like woody p and bodarville said, bump up the FC a bit. No need to shock unless you just want the extra peace of mind.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!