Test Results -easiest way to raise PH and TA?

4x4tx

Jul 23, 2007
Greater Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Got my water tested yesterday with these results

FAC 3
TAC 3
Calcium hardness 490
CYA 99
TA 80
PH 7.0
TDS 600
PHO 2500

Pool store says I need to drain about 1.5 ft of my water and refill to get caclium down...also need to raise PH and TA? What is the best way?

Although I don't think you need to raise your TA level any, use plain old baking soda from the grocery store. Use pool calculator to determine how much to use and the effect it will have. You can simply aereate the pool to raise PH.

Your overlooking your biggest issue. Your CYA is too high and should be reduced down to around 50 ppm. YOu should keep your FC up around 8 ppm until you lower CYA.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

99 is the pool store code word for "off the scale" when it comes to CYA. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 200. The best way to know for sure is to test it yourself with a proper test kit. A distant second place would be to mix tap water and pool water 50-50 and take that sample to the store and see what they get, then double it.

Ok so how much water would I need to drain and refill to get my CYA down to a better level? Looks like thats what i need to do with the calcium as well.

On PH, just by running my pumps longer it will raise PH?

Water replacement is a direct percentage of CYA....remove 1/2 your water and you remove 1/2 your CYA.

I would leave pH alone. If you have been using pucks, stop using them and your pH will come up. Leave your TA alone as well.

At some point, you must decide whether to take charge of your own pool (get your own good kit) or continue to get it tested at the pool store. Right now, you are not getting very good advice from the pool store and I doubt their testing is very good, either.

I actually have one of your kits, and I have used it. I just have doubts that I use it correctly sometimes so end up back at the pool store.

I am using pucks in a chlorinator.

I have never drained my pool down, I am curious as to how I would do it.....What is draining once my skimmers are above the water line?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
4x4tx said:
Surely there is way to turn off the skimmers and drain from the main ?

Only if your pool was built that way ... my 2 pools have not been because the floor was plumbed to the skimmer and then from the skimmer to the pump. The diverters that are put in the skimmer are not airtight, so you end up pulling in air once the water gets below the skimmer.

If your floor is plumbed to the pump with a valve to select skimmer / floor ... then you can isolate the floor better and likely can do it with the pool pump.

I actually have one of your kits, and I have used it. I just have doubts that I use it correctly sometimes so end up back at the pool store.
Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire.

There are hundreds of people on this forum that will help you with your own testing....me included.

Drained the pool down maybe ft ft.5 and let pump run all night last night.

Took water sample today and got these results back.
FAC 4
TAC 4
CH 350
CYA 60
TA 90
PH 7.4
TDS 600
Phos 300

Now curious how my CYA dropped from 99 to 60 with only at most a 2ft drain? Assuming PH went up because I ran the pump all night?

[attachment=0:1vrzy8o5]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372473571.043411.jpg[/attachment:1vrzy8o5]pic

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372473571.043411.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372473571.043411.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 58
4x4tx said:
Drained the pool down maybe ft ft.5 and let pump run all night last night.

Took water sample today and got these results back.
FAC 4
TAC 4
CH 350
CYA 60
TA 90
PH 7.4
TDS 600
Phos 300

Now curious how my CYA dropped from 99 to 60 with only at most a 2ft drain? Assuming PH went up because I ran the pump all night?
Because Pool Store Testing is notoriously wrong. Especially the CYA test.

Ok for a 16000 gal pool, how much chlorox would I need to use weekly or monthly? I am ready to make the change. I cut off the pucks this weekend so I need to do something next couple of days.

4x4tx said:
Ok for a 16000 gal pool, how much chlorox would I need to use weekly or monthly? I am ready to make the change. I cut off the pucks this weekend so I need to do something next couple of days.
Think daily.

The way to know is by testing and calculating the proper dose for your CYA level using http://www.poolcalculator.com/ After a couple weeks, you will know your pool's appetite and will be able to predict pretty accurately what you'll see when you test and what the dose will be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.