Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Results -easiest way to raise PH and TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Results -easiest way to raise PH and TA?

Got my water tested yesterday with these results

FAC 3
    TAC 3
    Calcium hardness 490
    CYA 99
    TA 80
    PH 7.0
    TDS 600
    PHO 2500

Pool store says I need to drain about 1.5 ft of my water and refill to get caclium down...also need to raise PH and TA? What is the best way?
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Results -easiest way to raise PH and TA?

Although I don't think you need to raise your TA level any, use plain old baking soda from the grocery store. Use pool calculator to determine how much to use and the effect it will have. You can simply aereate the pool to raise PH.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your overlooking your biggest issue. Your CYA is too high and should be reduced down to around 50 ppm. YOu should keep your FC up around 8 ppm until you lower CYA.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

99 is the pool store code word for "off the scale" when it comes to CYA. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like 200. The best way to know for sure is to test it yourself with a proper test kit. A distant second place would be to mix tap water and pool water 50-50 and take that sample to the store and see what they get, then double it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok so how much water would I need to drain and refill to get my CYA down to a better level? Looks like thats what i need to do with the calcium as well.

On PH, just by running my pumps longer it will raise PH?
    built 4/08/2000 16 x32 460 Sq FT Pool 16,000 gallons 3.5 ft 5 ft 3.5 ft sport pool

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Water replacement is a direct percentage of CYA....remove 1/2 your water and you remove 1/2 your CYA.

I would leave pH alone. If you have been using pucks, stop using them and your pH will come up. Leave your TA alone as well.

At some point, you must decide whether to take charge of your own pool (get your own good kit) or continue to get it tested at the pool store. Right now, you are not getting very good advice from the pool store and I doubt their testing is very good, either.
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

I actually have one of your kits, and I have used it. I just have doubts that I use it correctly sometimes so end up back at the pool store.

I am using pucks in a chlorinator.

I have never drained my pool down, I am curious as to how I would do it.....What is draining once my skimmers are above the water line?

8. Back To Top    #8

The pucks in the chlorinator are how your CYA got so high.

You can rent a submersible pump to drain water.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Or put the vac hose on and put filter to waste

10. Back To Top    #10

Surely there is way to turn off the skimmers and drain from the main ?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tx
    Surely there is way to turn off the skimmers and drain from the main ?
    Only if your pool was built that way ... my 2 pools have not been because the floor was plumbed to the skimmer and then from the skimmer to the pump. The diverters that are put in the skimmer are not airtight, so you end up pulling in air once the water gets below the skimmer.

If your floor is plumbed to the pump with a valve to select skimmer / floor ... then you can isolate the floor better and likely can do it with the pool pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I actually have one of your kits, and I have used it. I just have doubts that I use it correctly sometimes so end up back at the pool store.
    Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire.

There are hundreds of people on this forum that will help you with your own testing....me included.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

Drained the pool down maybe ft ft.5 and let pump run all night last night.

Took water sample today and got these results back.
    FAC 4
    TAC 4
    CH 350
    CYA 60
    TA 90
    PH 7.4
    TDS 600
    Phos 300

Now curious how my CYA dropped from 99 to 60 with only at most a 2ft drain? Assuming PH went up because I ran the pump all night?

14. Back To Top    #14

[attachment=0:1vrzy8o5]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372473571.043411.jpg[/attachment:1vrzy8o5]pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Back To Top    #15

Drained the pool down maybe ft ft.5 and let pump run all night last night.

Took water sample today and got these results back.
    FAC 4
    TAC 4
    CH 350
    CYA 60
    TA 90
    PH 7.4
    TDS 600
    Phos 300

Now curious how my CYA dropped from 99 to 60 with only at most a 2ft drain? Assuming PH went up because I ran the pump all night?
    Because Pool Store Testing is notoriously wrong. Especially the CYA test.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

What Richard said. There was just another thread where the CYA jumped from like 60 to 140 for no reason.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok for a 16000 gal pool, how much chlorox would I need to use weekly or monthly? I am ready to make the change. I cut off the pucks this weekend so I need to do something next couple of days.

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok for a 16000 gal pool, how much chlorox would I need to use weekly or monthly? I am ready to make the change. I cut off the pucks this weekend so I need to do something next couple of days.
    Think daily.

The way to know is by testing and calculating the proper dose for your CYA level using http://www.poolcalculator.com/ After a couple weeks, you will know your pool's appetite and will be able to predict pretty accurately what you'll see when you test and what the dose will be.