Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Decks....built over or under the top rail.....?

1. Back To Top    #1

Decks....built over or under the top rail.....?

Hey everyone,

I just built my AGP and I am getting ready to start on phase 1 of the deck. My wife and I are debating back and forth if the deck should over hang the top rail of the pool or go underneath it. I am curious to hear what others have done, and why you chose one way over the other.

Thanks
    Jeremy
    18 x 34 Doughboy AGP
    Hayward sand filter(need to look up the model #)
    1 HP Hayward pump(need to find the model on that too!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Decks....built over or under the top rail.....?

I had mine built over the top rail because I envisioned sitting on the edge of the deck with my legs dangling in the water and I thought it would be more comfortable that way. I like it, but I will say that the end trim board did come off by the end of the first season. It is an easy fix. BTW, I never did sit on the edge and dangle my legs.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dattia
    I had mine built over the top rail because I envisioned sitting on the edge of the deck with my legs dangling in the water and I thought it would be more comfortable that way. I like it, but I will say that the end trim board did come off by the end of the first season. It is an easy fix. BTW, I never did sit on the edge and dangle my legs.
    Ha! This is one of my wife's arguments for building over! LOL!
    18 x 34 Doughboy AGP
    Hayward sand filter(need to look up the model #)
    1 HP Hayward pump(need to find the model on that too!)

4. Back To Top    #4

If you build the deck over the top rail and have to change the liner in the future you will have to remove the boards over the top rail in order to get the old liner off and the new liner on. If you build just under the rails, you can still sit on the edge and hang your feet over, you're just sitting back about 5" to have your weight on the deck. Use the google search at the bottom left of this page to search for above ground pool deck and click images. You can then click on the pictures you are interested in to read the threads for more information.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

How about a little bit of both??????? You can always take the decking up underneath the top rail, and then................. maybe just build a "dangle your legs over the side" box if you will that overhangs the rail. Extra seating, leg dangling, removable, possible storage and as long as you like. After 34 years of marriage, I've obviously learned to compromise!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

No right or wrong way, it's your personal preference.
    I built ours even with the rail.
    Just make sure access to the liner is feasible.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list