Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Repair holes in mortar under coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Repair holes in mortar under coping

Hi. We have a new fiberglass pool (installed last Fall) with a paver coping. We have several 'holes' in the mortar joint under the coping and, although they are fairly small, I am concerned that water is getting into these spaces (not to mention it's aesthetically unpleasing). What is the best way to fill these holes? Can I use a silicone caulk or something similar? Thanks on advance for the help !
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, TF-100 Test Kit, and, of course, Margaritaville Tahiti blender!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Repair holes in mortar under coping

A picture would be really helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by DOMO
    Hi. We have a new fiberglass pool (installed last Fall) with a paver coping. We have several 'holes' in the mortar joint under the coping and, although they are fairly small, I am concerned that water is getting into these spaces (not to mention it's aesthetically unpleasing). What is the best way to fill these holes? Can I use a silicone caulk or something similar? Thanks on advance for the help !
    Why not contact the builder?
    ~15K gal, IG gunite with new Wetedge Satin Matrix Pebble Finish installed mid 04/14, 1 HP Pentair Challanger pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 sqft cartridge filter, G3 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I can send pics once I get home tonight. Regarding the builder, we have had MAJOR issues with them and are no longer in contact.
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, TF-100 Test Kit, and, of course, Margaritaville Tahiti blender!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi all, Apologies for the delayed reply. Please see the attached 2 pictures. These are just 2 of the areas where there are holes in the mortar, there are several others, some of which are bigger than these. Thanks for the help!

6. Back To Top    #6

Are the pictures upside down? Is that hairline cracking in the fiberglass?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi. I can't see the pictures on the site for some reason, but the pics are of the top of the fiberglass wall, the mortar joint, and the coping above that. It is quite possible it is a crack as we have experience multiples cracks and punctures in the shell due to improper installation. Essentially, the installer did not perform the dig out appropriately (among other tasks during construction) and set the shell on ledge which has compromised the structural integrity of the shell in many places.

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you know the name of the grout color?

You could buy some sanded grout and fix it with that.

They do make sanded silicone color mathing caulk as well.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't know the grout color or brand. Also, will new mortar adhere to the old and fill the holes smoothly? Had thought about colored silicone caulk, but didn't know if that was an acceptable solution.

10. Back To Top    #10

New grout will adhear in my experience, and it is up to the installer's (you) ability to get it to blend in texture wise.

The biggest issues will be color matching. Ususally if you have to use more than 1 bag of grout you mix all the dry grount mixture together to get a uniform color for the whole project. So even if you knew exact brand and color it sill may not match perfectly.

Have you looked at the grout selection as one of the big box stores yet?

Any way to get a sample of your grout to take with you i.e. break off a piece somewhere?

I assume your pool is staying put? Meaning your not getting a replacement job...
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I have not checked out any grout selections yet, but will start to research. As for the future of the pool, we had an independent expert come and do an inspection and his findings were that, due to the extent of the damage caused and the improper installation, the only remedy is full replacement (!!!). We are going through several channels in order to go through that process, but in the interim, I wanted to look into resolving this mortar issue.