tell me about this shock and all my other chemicals

I'm just waiting for my taylor k 2006 to arrive before I refill the pool so I've been reading up a storm in pool school and Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. I can see that one of my first steps will be to shock the pool and I'm wondering if shock differs a lot from one brand to the next.

Of course, being an uneducated newbie, I went to the pool store after my 1st fill and gave them a water sample. I came home with $400 worth of chemicals. So now I'm wondering if I will use any of it??

The brand of everything that I bought was Bioguard. The shock doesn't have any information on the packaging or the website as to what is in it but it does say 6 in 1. Will that be acceptable shock to use for the first steps?

Here's the other stuff I came home with too (all Bioguard):
Tabguard Tabs 200g
lo 'n slo
stabilizer 100
balance pak 200
scale inhibiter
banich (algae)
off the wall ( a cleaner which by the way too all the blue ink off the wall of my nice new pool)
and of course 4 way test strips

I have read that I will likely use the lo 'n slo, but what about the other stuff? Will I be able to put it to use? I'm a little afraid of the algecide after my last cloudy episode .

Sandib210 said:
I'm just waiting for my taylor k 2006 to arrive before I refill the pool so I've been reading up a storm in pool school and Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools. I can see that one of my first steps will be to shock the pool and I'm wondering if shock differs a lot from one brand to the next.

Of course, being an uneducated newbie, I went to the pool store after my 1st fill and gave them a water sample. I came home with $400 worth of chemicals. So now I'm wondering if I will use any of it??

The brand of everything that I bought was Bioguard. The shock doesn't have any information on the packaging or the website as to what is in it but it does say 6 in 1. Will that be acceptable shock to use for the first steps?

Here's the other stuff I came home with too (all Bioguard):
Tabguard Tabs 200g Trichlor
lo 'n slo Sodium bisulfate (Dry Acid)
stabilizer 100 100% CYA
balance pak 200 Sodium Carbonate
scale inhibiter Probably useless
banich (algae) Useless
off the wall ( a cleaner which by the way too all the blue ink off the wall of my nice new pool) Too harsh. Magic eraser is cheaper and better.
and of course 4 way test strips Useless

I have read that I will likely use the lo 'n slo, but what about the other stuff? Will I be able to put it to use? I'm a little afraid of the algecide after my last cloudy episode .
So you bought both Acid and Soda Ash. Depending on your fill water, you'll need one or the other, but not likely both.
The stabilizer is useful. The trichlor is handy for vacations. Keep the powders and pucks dry and closed and they will keep for years. Find out when the next hazmat collection is in your town and get rid of the rest.

Tell you what - I ought to open a Pool Store, and spend my evenings counting my money.
[center:3hjl09eu]
file.php
[/center:3hjl09eu]

Sandib210 said:
Without seeing the package to know for sure.... the shock is probably dichlor with copper. I wouldn't use it. :hammer:

Exactly what does the label on the "shock" say, they have at least one product called simply "biogard shock" which the MSDS shows as having a variety of Bromine compounds (something you NEVER want in most chlorinated pools, and is almost impossible to remove without water replacement)

We here consider shock a process, not a product, any form of chlorination can be used for shocking, this confusion about what pool stores sell as "shock" is a major issue lots of people have to get over. This is mostly a marketing thing on their part, some sell the exact same product under different labels calling it dry chlorine and also shock, the only difference being the usage instructions. Like with everything else we try to keep this simple, so for most common uses, bleach or liquid chlorine are the preferred choice for all chlorination needs. There are potentially some situations where dichlor or cal-hypo my be appropriate, but you will know when your understanding of pool chemistry gets to the level to handle the multiple effects these can have on your water chemistry.

Read the temporary pool guide again. That is designed for someone without one of the recommended test kits who is going to use a certain asking of Dichlor to raise their CYA to an expect range ... with no way to verify.

You will have a good test kit. So you should add some of the stabilizer and could use some of the tablets to raise the CYA, but then you need to switch to liquid chlorine.

Honestly, you should try to return all the stuff and start over.

I use the normal shock process with just my bottle of liquid chlorine. Working like a charm and my water is pretty now (still killing some old algae).

If you are just filling fresh then I would just fill and test the water (I use the TF100 kit from here- awesome) and add what is needed for normal levels based from pool calculator.

It took me a few days of staring at the calculator to figure out how to use it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with jblizzle. I would try to return all of it. With maybe the exception of the stabilizer which you can pick up some place else for probably less money. Invest in a good test kit (I have the TF100 with Speedstir, best money I have ever spent) and buy ONLY what you need to keep your water maintained. You will spend half the amount that the pool charged you and that includes your handy dandy, must have test kit. Keeping bleach, borax, and muriatic acid on hand, along with a good test kit will keep your water sparkly!

Oops! Forgot to add baking soda to your shopping list!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.