Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get the PH down

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get the PH down

Is there another way to test PH except the pink color test? have put 2 gallon of muriatic acid in and it is still at 8.0 (I think anyway, have a hard time distinquishing the intensity of the pink color). TA is 290 -- it has come down some. FC is 4.0 tonight. Put a new liner in this spring, and so have all new water in (did this about one month ago) It looks good, but the MA does not seem to be cutting the high PH much --- is the only thing to do is keep putting more MA in? thanks for any advice.

16000 gallon
    inground
    in Missouri
    vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get the PH down

Quote Originally Posted by allsbp
    Is there another way to test PH except the pink color test? have put 2 gallon of muriatic acid in and it is still at 8.0 (I think anyway, have a hard time distinquishing the intensity of the pink color). TA is 290 -- it has come down some. FC is 4.0 tonight. Put a new liner in this spring, and so have all new water in (did this about one month ago) It looks good, but the MA does not seem to be cutting the high PH much --- is the only thing to do is keep putting more MA in? thanks for any advice.

16000 gallon
    inground
    in Missouri
    vinyl liner
    Sounds like it.

When I took control of my pool - same size - I was reading 8.2. I added a 10 lb bucket of dry acid, then a gallon of MA before I even moved the color towards the center!

Anything over 8.2 reads as 8.2. And note, pH is logarithmic - like the Richter Scale; the jump from 9.2 to 8.2 is 10X the jump from 8.2 to 7.2

Also note the pool calculator carries a disclaimer that "Results are approximate and can be off significantly for large pH changes."
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks much for this info -- did not know any of that but it sounds like our PH could be way higher than I though. ---- I'm not familiar with Dry acid so will look for more info on that.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks much for this info -- did not know any of that but it sounds like our PH could be way higher than I though. ---- I'm not familiar with Dry acid so will look for more info on that.
    Don't bother. Muriatic Acid is cheaper.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay -- thanks.

Do you think I should just add a gallon at a time and keep testing daily?

Thanks so much for your quick help!

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay -- thanks.

Do you think I should just add a gallon at a time and keep testing daily?

Thanks so much for your quick help!
    No! Never just dump anything in!

As stated above, the jumps are not equal. Plug 8.2 into the pool calculator and 7.4 in the the target and add what it says. Recheck an hour or more later and see what it says. Plug that in and repeat. Eventually, pH will start to change. When it does, you're below 8.2 and the next dose will get you perfect. Also note that you need the TA reading to calculate the acid dose in http://www.poolcalculator.com/ .

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay -- will do --- thank you very very much!