using chlorine his go around instead of baquacil

aprylb

Jun 24, 2013
Cut Off, LA
When our daughters were little we had a 16' x 4' above ground pool and used bacquacil. got rid of the pool when they wouldnt clean it. lol now 10 years later we have a grandson and just got a 12' by 3' intex pool. we have decided to go with chlorine. but I cant seem to get it right! i have a 3 way test kit that i use. the water looks great but the test kit says both chlorine and ph are low. i have shocked it twice and put 1" chlorine tablets in it daily. i am so frustrated. i want to take a sample of the water to our local pool place but i know they will try to sell me more chemicals!! lol i am open to suggestions... i also would like to know what type of vacuum i should get. thanks so much for reading this and considering helping me!

Well the first thing you need is a good high quality test kit, see my signature, and the second thing you need is a good understanding of pool chemistry and what those test results are telling you, for that we have the pool school link in the upper right of each page here.

Ike

Welcome to TFP!

Really the best way to maintain any pool is with one of the recommended test kits. But, you have a small pool that was probably cheaper than these kits. There is an article in Pool School (really you should read everything to understand the chemistry) about a method maintain a temporary/seasonal pool. That can get you by and if the water turns, easy enough to refill and start over.

Ask questions when they come up.

I'd guess your CYA level is to high, thus causing algae to grow faster than the chlorine can kill it off. In the case of smaller pools many rules kinda change as a drain/refill are easy.

1. Purchase the 6way kit from walmart. For $22 it's like a mini TF-100 :)

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/HTH- ... 0&veh=mweb

2. Test your CYA level first. Anything over 70 prepare to drain the pool.

3. Post results here if under 70 and we'll walk you through cleaning it. It's hard for us to make suggestions without a set of test results.

Daily I'd suggest this......
Assuming your CYA is around 40 (which is where we'll guide you as a goal to reach after you test) then add 2cups bleach, go swimming. Daily then test pool. If your FC is below 3, then add 2cups bleach. If it's above 3 then go swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.