Jun 24, 2013
New Mexico
So I bought a 10' round metal frame Intex pool its been like 2 weeks and there is algae building up in the tubes to and from the pump. I have the Arm & Hammer pool cleaning tablets and used one a few days ago but that helped for about a day. There is not algae in the actual pool, just in the filter tubes. What do you veterans suggest?

Back again. I shocked the pool which killed the algae and cleared out the pump tubes. I got a test kit and now have the pool within the recommended numbers. Now I have the problem of vacuuming up the algae the pump filter isn't fine enough to clear it out and i have a little bag vac but most the algae just gets through it. Is there anything that will cause the dead algae to clump to allow easier vacuuming?

There isn't much you can do to improve those small Intex filters with the paper filter cartridges, other than replacing the whole filter with something better. There are some third party cartridges that fit which are a little better, but even with those you will have similar problems, just not as badly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does your filter take the type "A" cartridges or type "D"?

Unicel has carts that will get most of the dead algae from your water.

You can try adding a few layers of knee-high stockings to your bag, that will help get a lot of the finer stuff. But there again, you won't get the finest.

Something we don't usually recommend is a flocculant or clarifier (two different chemicals), but those can create more problems, which is why we don't recommend their use.

The filters you are looking for are:
Unicel C-4607
Filbur FC-3709

Make sure the description says something to the effect that these are genuine Unicel or Filbur, NOT "Replaces" or "same as".

The Pleatco are no better than the Intex filters, and I'd bet that they are the ones making the Intex filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.