Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob here

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob here

So I bought a 10' round metal frame Intex pool its been like 2 weeks and there is algae building up in the tubes to and from the pump. I have the Arm & Hammer pool cleaning tablets and used one a few days ago but that helped for about a day. There is not algae in the actual pool, just in the filter tubes. What do you veterans suggest?
    Intex 10' Metal frame AG, 550 g/h pump, Big ***** turtle, color changing lights,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob here

Welcome to TFP!

How are you chlorinating the pool and what chlorine level are you maintaining?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

How should I chlorinate the pool?
    Intex 10' Metal frame AG, 550 g/h pump, Big ***** turtle, color changing lights,

4. Back To Top    #4

Liquid chlorine (bleach) is a good source. Have you read pool school ? Check it out. Tons of good Info.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Read pool school. Getting a test strip pack delivered in a few days. Going to get some liquid chlorine at the store tomorrow morning. any other suggestions?

6. Back To Top    #6

Test strip pack? Not strips! Test KIT. Should look like one of these.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Nix the test strips and go with one of the test kits recommended here. I use the TF 100 kit. It's the best.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

If I had known about the TF-100 before I bought the K-2006........better deal, more bang for the buck.

I know coulda shoulda woulda....
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Back again. I shocked the pool which killed the algae and cleared out the pump tubes. I got a test kit and now have the pool within the recommended numbers. Now I have the problem of vacuuming up the algae the pump filter isn't fine enough to clear it out and i have a little bag vac but most the algae just gets through it. Is there anything that will cause the dead algae to clump to allow easier vacuuming?

10. Back To Top    #10

There isn't much you can do to improve those small Intex filters with the paper filter cartridges, other than replacing the whole filter with something better. There are some third party cartridges that fit which are a little better, but even with those you will have similar problems, just not as badly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Is there a better but not too expensive filter you could recommend?

12. Back To Top    #12

Does your filter take the type "A" cartridges or type "D"?

Unicel has carts that will get most of the dead algae from your water.

You can try adding a few layers of knee-high stockings to your bag, that will help get a lot of the finer stuff. But there again, you won't get the finest.

Something we don't usually recommend is a flocculant or clarifier (two different chemicals), but those can create more problems, which is why we don't recommend their use.

13. Back To Top    #13

My filter is an A filter. I had a clarifier but it didn't help at all. Are the Unicel filters on Amazon? or where can I find them?

14. Back To Top    #14

I found some on Amazon but they look huge. There's these other Pleatco ones too, are they worth a darn?

15. Back To Top    #15

The filters you are looking for are:
    Unicel C-4607
    Filbur FC-3709

Make sure the description says something to the effect that these are genuine Unicel or Filbur, NOT "Replaces" or "same as".

The Pleatco are no better than the Intex filters, and I'd bet that they are the ones making the Intex filters.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok thanks i was able to find this one as well which says it is the same measurements but the top is closed and is only $4 is that an acceptable one or does the top being closed make it not usable for my system?