I have a rust problem

Jun 24, 2013
I have a rust problem. The spot is about 6 inches from the bottom of the pool and it is about 4" x 2" (almost perfectly horizontal). The spot is on the outside wall (have not removed the liner since I bought the house a couple of years ago). There are some smaller spots nearby but nothing anywhere else on any other walls that are visible. Is this something that can be repaired or am I bought into a new pool wall (essentially the same as pool replacement from what I've read)? I have read some scary pool collapse stories elsewhere and I don't have much experience with this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

It would help greatly if you could share pictures with us so we can have a look see. :goodjob: (we like pics anyways)

I've read of other members who have had rusted walls clean the area and use metal sheeting and pop rivots to get extra miles out of their above ground rusted out pool walls. A 4"x2" area should be no problem to fix up. :cool: After successfully doing so, take duct tape and put on the sheeting to protect the liner. This of course gets done from inside the pool so liner removal may be necesary.

Also, it would be of great help in the future that you add a signature line of your pool specs and your location in your profile so we don't have to ask you for it every time you post. You can do that in the User Control Panel at the top left of every page. :goodjob:

I took some pictures. There is a lot more rust on the surface - as I said the hole itself is not that big yet. It is kind of starting to "peel" away. I did some exploring (tapping lightly with my foot while looking over the edge at the rust) while in the pool and noticed that the hole appears to be underneath the sand at the bottom of the pool. It is at the location where sand slopes up at the end of the pool toward the wall. In other words, I don't think the liner actually goes down that far.

Attachments

• IMAG0373.jpg
    IMAG0373.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0373-001.jpg
    IMAG0373-001.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 96
Anyone have an idea whether the sheet metal idea mentioned above would work based on the photos.....or even how to do it? Also, do you think it's an urgent issue or can it wait for early next season? If I do it now, I have to spend time not using the pool and re-establishing chemistry but if I wait I can just drain, remove the liner, and refill before I use it for the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.