Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clarification on bleach %

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarification on bleach %

Ok so may be a dumb question and maybe I am reading into "available" chlorine too much butttttt.... The Walmart bleach says sodium hypochlorite 8.25%... Other ingredients 91.75%.... Yields 7.86% available chlorine. So my question is what are we supposed to be putting in pool calculator for strength? 7.86% or 8.25%????!

Also it says 121oz = 182oz for super concentrated on the bottle. Should we put 121oz in calculator or 182oz. ??

Thanks
    23k Gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward Perflex 65A DE Filter, Heat Pump, In-Line Chlorinator, Pool Installed 2010 (however i just bought the house with this pool 1 month ago)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clarification on bleach %

8.25% is the only input you need as that determine the number of oz required. The jug size is just used to fill in the white box at the top when you put the mouse over the output (I never look at that).

They claim that the 8.25% @ 121 oz is the same as the 6% @ 182 oz ... but in reality they are saving money on shipping costs, charging us the same amount of money and providing about 8.5% less chlorine ...

To get the same amount of chlorine would be 132 oz of 8.25%.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The Pool Calculator, and most other things, use the normal percentage by weight, 8.25%, not the available chlorine number.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool. That is the info I needed. Thanks guys
    23k Gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward Perflex 65A DE Filter, Heat Pump, In-Line Chlorinator, Pool Installed 2010 (however i just bought the house with this pool 1 month ago)