Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Here..

1. Back To Top    #1

New Here..

Hi! I live in NC we use well water. Our pool has 18,300 gallons and is an above ground with vinyl liner. We have a sand filter
    We had extremely cloudy pool and an awful chlorine demand. We finally got the demand under control. It was so cloudy you couldn't see the 3rd step. It was a blue white cloudy. Well we flocked this weekend and now the pool is crystal clear.

I took a sample to the pool store and here are the readings
    FC: 10.56
    CC:0
    PH: 7.8 (added 2.5 lbs ph decreaser per pool store)
    TA:106
    CH: 346
    CYA: 100

The cya was around 120 before we drained part of the pool and refilled. We are limited on the amount we can drain and refill at a time due to the well. We are going to start the liquid chlorine so we don't add more cya to the water.

We have been pool stored. Are we on the right track or what do we need to do?

The pool store said it was ok just not recommened to swim with high chlorine. But when I looked at the CYA chart we are in the middle where ideal would be 12. Is it safe to swim in? I have 3 kids ( 12, 9, and 7)

Thanks
    AG-vinyl, 18,300 gallons, pool is 5 yr old, sand filter, one speed motor,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Here..

Your CYA/Chlorine ratio is safe to swim in, although you should really consider another partial drain/refill as you will be adding a lot of chlorine over the summer if you don't get it down to atleast 50.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

We are going to be working on getting it down by draining some each month, just can't do another big drain. The pool is in Full sun all day so I read we can have a level of 80 i think.

How much and at what level do we shock?

4. Back To Top    #4

http://www.poolcalculator.com will help you with your levels.

I wouldn't want to shock at a CYA level of 80...
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

What is your CYA level now? Have you ordered a test kit yet?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

She says it's at 100. Thing is, at or over 100 it could be anything.

When you get CYA over 100, it becomes so difficult to measure it could be 200 but reading 100.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I haven't ordered the test yet. The water was tested at the local pool store. It's a clear care expert computerized water analysis system.

8. Back To Top    #8

The water was tested this morning