Introduction.... question about pool tile color

May 25, 2013
Hello - :-D
My PB is going to start construction soon!!!
Due to our FOURTEEN Ft. easement (grrrr...), we have to put our pool in our side yard.

We are using flagstone coping, but I can't decide on the tile... we are using tile in the spa, the spa spillway, as trim for the pool itself, and on the face of our water feature with a 6 ft. sheer. The pool is going to be very close to the house, which is red brick. We started looking at a blue/brown glazed tile, which looks fine with the flagstone, but it's going to clash with the red brick on our house....??? I'm thinking of going with a neutral stone color to blend with the flagstone....

Any opinions out there? (Thought I'd start with an easy question since they haven't started digging yet). :wave:
Thanks! I've enjoyed looking at your pool pics!
Kathy

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Depending on where you are located, with high evaporation rates and hich CH level of your water, you may want to consider a light tan tile so as to not show any ring from evaporation.

Also I would suggest a smooth tile as it seems easier to remove any deposits if they do develop.

R's Mom,
Since you are using flagstone for coping, I suggest you try to find a similar-colored glazed tile to blend with that flagstone (which I assume looks good with your brick home). Using similar colors in different textures would keep it simple, attractive, sophisticated, and interesting to look at, without overpowering the view of the whole beautiful pool and patio area you are creating. In my opinion, anyway!

The tiles on our 25-year-old pool are busy and distracting. Don't do that! (We bought our house with the pool as it is, and plan to re-surface and re-tile it in the next year or two.)

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Depending on where you are located, with high evaporation rates and hich CH level of your water, you may want to consider a light tan tile so as to not show any ring from evaporation.

Also I would suggest a smooth tile as it seems easier to remove any deposits if they do develop.

Thanks! I live in Houston. I appreciate your input. I thought the textured tile might help "hide" any desposits, but getting smooth makes sense. I've definitely decided to go neutral. That way I won't regret getting a funky color that I hate in ten years.
:cool:

alanpaul said:
R's Mom,
Since you are using flagstone for coping, I suggest you try to find a similar-colored glazed tile to blend with that flagstone (which I assume looks good with your brick home). Using similar colors in different textures would keep it simple, attractive, sophisticated, and interesting to look at, without overpowering the view of the whole beautiful pool and patio area you are creating. In my opinion, anyway!

The tiles on our 25-year-old pool are busy and distracting. Don't do that! (We bought our house with the pool as it is, and plan to re-surface and re-tile it in the next year or two.)

Thank you for your reply! I agree- I've decided to go with a neutral tile to blend with the flagstone. That way I won't hate it in 10 years. The flagstone looks good with our brick (I hate red brick, but the house is awesome). I appreciate you taking the time to reply. :cool:

Welcome! I hope you start a thread in our Construction Forum so we can watch your build with you.

Before your pool is done, order a reliable test kit. The TF-100 is awesome! :mrgreen: