Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad idea? Drain pool to fix wrinkles

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad idea? Drain pool to fix wrinkles

I just paid a lot of money to a pool contracter to get my pool bottom repaired a new liner put in. Unfortunately the liner has some wrinkles (and it's full of water now). My installer wants to drain the pool at the end of the season (September), hook back up the vacuums, and fix the wrinkles, at his expense.

I know I've read before that messing with the liner after it's stretched out is a bad idea, but wanted to get the opinion of the group here. As far as I know, there is nothing that can be done about the wrinkles with the water in.

Thanks,
    --Michael
    33,000 Gallon, 20x40 Vinyl Inground, 500sq feet cartridge filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Installed 6/2013. Central Virginia, USA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Bad idea? Drain pool to fix wrinkles

His plan sounds reasonable to me. Your liner won't be exposed long enough to cause any harm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you found a pretty good contractor there ... although I assume you still have to pay for the refill water and the chemicals required to rebalance.

The fear of draining is for liners that are many years old and maybe getting stiff.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Good to know, thanks.

He also mentioned pulling back the liner and adding vermiculite to smooth out some rough areas, is that still ok in this situation? Also note, he won't be doing this until the end of September, so I'm concerned about outside temperatures, which may be around 70 degrees at the time.
    33,000 Gallon, 20x40 Vinyl Inground, 500sq feet cartridge filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Installed 6/2013. Central Virginia, USA