Question Intex sand filter

Jun 24, 2013
I have the Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 14", model SF15110. This is its 2nd season of use, last year worked fine. It is connected to a 16' round metal-frame Intex pool. The pump has a 6-way handle. When I connected it this year I notice that it does not pump water from the inlet to the outlet when the handle is set to Filtration. There are no clogs and everything is connected correctly. If I set the handle to Recirculate, which reverse the flow, the water moves correctly. If the pump is turned off and I discounted the outlet from the pool, water flows out, so I know it can make it from the inlet to the outlet, its only when the pump is in Filtration setting that the water does not flow. Any ideas?

Welcome to tfp, prpswimmer :wave:

When you say recirculate reverses the flow, I am not sure what you mean. Recirculate should not reverse the flow, but instead, just bypass the sand media and still return water to the pool at the return...i.e. unless you looked at the filter multiport valve you would not know the filter was set differently than the "filter" setting.

The Recirculate setting deliberately reverses the flow from outlet to inlet, and this works, and I check the pump manual and it says basically the same thing, which is why I feel the pump is working. Could something about the sand filter be clogged inside the large bulb holding the sand?

The multiport valve can not reverse flow through the system, you would have to change the pump to do that. Recirculate is to move water through the normal piping in the normal direction with the sand media being bypassed. By any chance are you pointing the handle at the setting you want on not the bump opposite from the handle?

Each setting has a slot and the handle is definitely going into the Recirculate slot. I setup the pump just like last year, so I know things are connected correctly. All I know is when Filtration is selected, water flow into the inlet, and you can see it going into the leaf trap with the clear top (thought it doesn't go to the top, and I have released the air under the clear lid) but nothing goes out the outlet.

Okay, then you are using the valve right (often a common mistake). It could be that the handle is not set right, did you remove it by chance? Mine (not an intex) can be incorrectly installed 180 degrees.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sand almost never needs replacing. The only reasons that I can think of that come up to change it is:
  • 1. Unkown amount of sand and manufacturer only specs by weight
    2. Wrong type of sand
    3. Very calcified sand that can not be broken up
    4. During Biguanide conversions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.