Using Plastic Zip Tie Between Titanium Plates - Is That Okay

May 20, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hello Fellow SWG Owners,

I have an Intex SWG and I have to clean the titanium plates every 4-5 days. I soak the plates in vinegar as recommended, but it does not get all the calcium deposits out between the plates. Since the manual says you can clean them with plastic, I used a plastic zip-tie to push out the stuck pieces. Is that okay?

Also, why am I having to clean them so often?

Current Levels:

Gallons of Water = 8500

FC = 4
Ph = 7.5
TA = 130
CH = 250
CYA = 50
SALT = 3200
Temp = 84 (f)
Phosphates = 0

Any responses are sincerely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Re: Using Plastic Zip Tie Between Titanium Plates - Is That

Given those test results, there is nothing indicating that you would be getting a lot of calcium buildup. But if your pH every gets > 7.8 then you are becoming at risk.

Lowering your TA could reduce how quickly the pH rises and make even 7.8 fine on the CSI index.

Nothing wrong with using a zip tie ... Another option would be something like a popsicle stick.

Thanks Jason! I never thought of a popsicle stick...good idea!! Instruction manual for SWG calls for TA at optimum level of 130; pH does rise ever so often; and it may take me a day or two to catch it; which might explain my problem.

Thanks again!

I have been cleaning mine with a diluted MA mixture (1 part MA to 4 parts water) and it's faster and more effective than vinegar... you can also just soak longer and it will eventually dissolve the crud in between.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.