Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to do CYA right

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to do CYA right

I know this has been a topic on here and I've been reading some of the threads and the pool school but I still had some questions.

My CYA is 20ppm so I need to raise it. I read that it takes a while for CYA to dissolve and one of the methods is to use a sock in the skimmer basket. Has anyone does this? If so how long does this take? And it is a literate sock or some fancy name for pool equipment? Any other suggestions for raising CYA would be appreciated!

Also on the pool I noticed a borate caculator. I believe my stabilizer is borate. I'm assuming I should use that calulator not the CYA one? The CYA one uses oz, and I'm not sure what that means in terms of grams.

Sorry if I'm being confusing.

Thanks so much!
    Gunite. 14,869 Gallons. Hayward cartridge filter. Hayward Super Pump 1HP. Chlorine.
    Baltimore, MD

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW MO

Re: Trying to do CYA right

Just a plain old sock. It's usually better to hang the sock in front of a return, that way it's not touching anything if the pump shuts off. Give it a squeeze now and then when you're near it and it'll dissolve faster.

Borates are for buffering PH I believe, not chlorine. If your CYA is 20 you want stabilizer or conditioner that is cyanuric (sp) acid.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Trying to do CYA right

As Dan said, best to hang the sock in front of the return.

Borates are completely optional and are not what we normally call "stabilizer" which is cyanuric acid ... this is the ingredient that should be on the packaging.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!