FC 3.0
    CC 0
    TA 60
    PH 7.2
    CH 160
    CYA Less than 30 (Taylor kit doesn't go that low) Guessing it's at 10 or so
    Borates 50

BBB Method here but using pucks to bring CYA up to 30-50 range

Currently to keep Ph at 7.2-7.4 range I am consuming 1 Quart of 15% MA per day. It's starting to add up...... This is even with a floater full of pucks... I use around 2 gal of 8% Bleach weekly as well.

Any thoughts on MA demand reduction?

Does the fact that I'm riding the CSI close to the edge have any effect?

Thx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ye Ole Acid Demand

You are trying to keep the PH quite low, which is at least most of why the PH tends to go up, and also why your CSI is low. We recommend keeping PH between 7.5 and 7.8.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was trying to keep the CSI the lowest it could be without exceeding -0.6 to descale a bit. I've been riding at -0.59 with the PH at 7.3

Calcite Saturation Index - requires pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, uses Borate, Salt
    Less than -0.6 is suggestive of problems for plaster, tile, stone, and pebble pools.
    Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by poolvibe
    I was trying to keep the CSI the lowest it could be without exceeding -0.6 to descale a bit. I've been riding at -0.59 with the PH at 7.3

Calcite Saturation Index - requires pH, TA, CH, CYA, Temp, uses Borate, Salt
    Less than -0.6 is suggestive of problems for plaster, tile, stone, and pebble pools.
    Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.
    If you're purposely trying to descale, then you WILL use a lot of acid. Your CH should also be climbing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yea Richard.... I kinda suspected I might be acid poor soon LOL.

If I am looking at a CSI of -0.59 vs say something like -0.35, am I going to see a radical difference or am I looking at more of a long term difference (in years) I just want to make sure I am consistently pulling calcium off the plaster.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's going to take years. progress-on-scale-t38568.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have found that the places around me charge about the same amount for the 15% or 31% acid. You might only need to add half as much acid, and pay half as much as you have been paying for the full strength acid.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process